Existing Member?

Splash of Passion and A Gleam of Hope.

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [110] | Scholarship Entry

Having being grown up as an Indian kid, there were many things I had to complain about, but the food was definitely was of the exceptions. Through our food was the way we felt we should show our guests the respect and how delighted we are to have them over. If any of you out there have actually been to an Indian house, we all that have experienced the love showered through the many servings of food we had been offered. But what we taste and see is actually just the tip of the iceberg that we actually realize on everyday basis. Having watched my mum cook for a good 10 years at least when I was growing up till I found better things to do, I learned many values and actually understood my culture better. It’s not here about me here talking about the way she cut the vegetables and how she flipped the pots for some dishes. It’s more about how she smiled at the end of every dish as she smelt a spoonful of the dish as she tasted it. It was how she diligently put them in special pots to be served with an explanation it tasted better. It was how she was brimming with confidence of the food she put at the dinner table. Also looking at the Indian food served at the restaurants and eateries, we need to agree how messy it could look sometimes. Put aside the deliciousness, people who’ve not actually tasted Indian food wouldn’t find its texture and appearance very appetizing indeed. Observing an Indian kitchen, there would be a chef doing his job flipping, slicing, frying or stirring a dish while a few other dishes are at other burners. The Indian culture seems to reflect similar behavior or maybe style where we tend to be involved in everything else around us but never forget what we are actually supposed to be doing. Thus, the next time you put a spoonful of Indian food in your mouth, slowly as it nudges your taste buds think about the very authentic culture behind it all that’s allowing you to enjoy the scrumptious plate of food that we have been served.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About youngboy


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.