Existing Member?

Kicking myself all the way

Omg not 2 old 2 txt

USA | Friday, 10 July 2015 | Views [208] | Comments [4]

Before I started this trip I had an 'old' small flip phone, that had a basic camera, text thru the time consuming 1abc buttons, a tiny 1 inch square screen and no Web connection - that I used anyhow. Actually the phone was pretty much unused. I sent the very occasional text to Roni, never took any photos with it, and indeed hardly ever even bothered to even leave it turned on. Assuming I even knew where it was that is ....

And now here I am, a changed man. Without my smartphone this trip would have been so much more of a hassle, and my already stretched sanity would have been eroded to the point of failure. Or not, I don't really know.

My Samsung S4 has certainly made my everyday life so much easier, as I use it to check the routes I plan, to scope out possible hostels and even to find nearby motorcycle shops for tyres or other services. And to allow me to bore you all by remote of course ...

Of all my e-crutches, 3 stand out as having helped me the most.

Firstly, an offline map service called Maps.Me. This beauty has helped me navigate strange towns be it on foot or on the bike; allowing me a backup when my GPS maps dwindled to a trickle of usefulness, and giving me the confidence to strike out and explore confusing urban landscapes on foot, safe in the knowledge that I could find my night's hostel again.

Secondly, WhatsApp, which along with texting, has allowed me to send videos and messages, and even free calls (using WiFi,  which is the norm in hotels and hostels, even in remote places). This of course has been a double edged sword for me, as I have struggled with the concept that my messages, my boredom, my out-reach for a connection will be answered with the urgency I expect ... 

And third, the camera. Originally I had a camera proper, which I intended for everyday photos, with the phone as backup or for a lower profile. Unfortunately my camera died after 2 weeks, so my phone became the jack-of-all-trades that so many other people have become used to. The pictures have turned out great, and I gradually got past the annoyance of its touch screen; as when I am riding and I saw something I wanted a picture of, I would have to stop and remove a glove in order to use the touch screen.

When I get back home I only hope I can wean myself back down to my previous minimal phone use!

Comments

1

Hey Matthew!
So... after all this time and reading your posts I finally realized I could comment! Silly me. Keep up the posts. Each one has me rolling. Thanks for the kiting video. I'll have to go there some day. You can show me where. Safe travels and looking forward to seeing you home fairly soon!

  Roger Jul 10, 2015 11:13 AM

2

I think you need to have Samsung sponsor your trip -- you sound like a Samsung commercial. Or a Qualcomm commercial!! Will be good to see you soon. Have fun with Veronika and the kids.

  Emily Jul 11, 2015 11:31 AM

3

Okay one more comment because I can't help myself. This trip has changed you! I almost fell off my chair when I read the "OMG" as the title of post. The Matthew Clough I knew before this trip would have never said "OMG". I love it. :)

  Emily Jul 11, 2015 11:46 AM

4

looking for posts with the family exploring Easter Island ect…….

looking forward to seeing you back home! XO

  Sue Jul 21, 2015 9:42 AM

About yoshic


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.