Existing Member?

Copper Canyon

Discovering the Rarámuri paths

MEXICO | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [193] | Scholarship Entry

Wind slaps my face but I keep concentrated in the glance over the mountains and the fine lines of paths drawn to the infinite, some of those are actually the paths where the Rarámuri people have walked since hundreds of years. The very first time I had a look of the Copper Canyon was a mix of surprise, peace and excitement. It was drought season but still the colors of the landscape went from a intense blue sky to the solid green and brown all over the valley, as well shiny reflections from some river patterns, luckily still running around.

We (my father, my mother and I) have run stairs down crossing the corridor full of handicrafts and souvenirs: little dresses designed as purses, dolls made in wood and dressed up in traditional clothing -same the vendor lady was wearing-, embroidered pieces and other products elaborated in the (aka) Tarahumara style.

Divisadero train stop is the closest point to admire the Canyon from the rail route; actually you have 20 minutes to get off, enjoy these creations of nature and take some pics. It is a 'mandatory' stop to spend the night getting lodge in one of the two hotels built at the border of the Canyon with impressive view. If not, you can stay in the village as we did in a cabin at the next stop.

Our landlord for that day came to pick us up at the station and took us to his property where besides his family home, they offer rooms and cabins for rent. The host family kitchen was our easiest option to get feed, so we had met the rest of the friendly clan and other guests while enjoying homemade local cuisine. We also got some advices and contact info for our next stops in Témoris and Bahuichivo.

One of the usual guests is a nurse man, who rents a cabin when he is working, since he lives in Sinaloa. He gave us a panorama of the medical attention that Rarámuri people receive, there is no actual doctors on the road, only nurses challenging in daily basis the access to far communities and try to keeping a good trusted communication with them.

Next morning, we head to National Park Barrancas del Cobre where the cableway, Tyrolean lines, biking and walking trails or vertical climbing are the options to explore this part of the big system canyon.

The land where my father was born and didn’t come back in 50 years, it shows to the three of us in a blast that has started days before at 5:30 am at Chepe station in Chihuahua city, giving us astonishing landscapes along the road and will continue in the next train stops.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About yooola


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.