Existing Member?

An Honour In the Pork About Food in The traditional culture

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [90] | Scholarship Entry

An honour in the pork

Bataknese is known as a Indonesian ethnic group pork consumer. There is a famous sentence among them, "Whom are dislike a pork,they are not bataknese"
Yes,although they have migrated to other regions in Indonesia or abroad. They always bring their "pork tradition" with them. The pork made of pork such as sangsang, nai gotha,roasted pork are not only as most favorite bataknese food but also be a highest honour for whom receive it.

In Bataknese wedding party,pork is the most important point. There is a rule that married couple must request a pray from Hula-hula or Tulang ( uncle from mother’s clan ). They must serve a pork called as Nai Gotha for Hula-Hula. Pork is served as whole parts of pork for a tribute to the Hula-Hula (called as Tulang and Nantulang) or the family of uncles who are from the mother clan. Pork will be surrounded by family ,including the parents of wedding couple,the couple and Hula-Hula family. The Pork is served because in bataknese tradition, it has the highest position among other meats.
Beside it, the traditional law about giving pork is applied when a younger sister whom already been married,would like to visit her older brother whom already been married too.
In bataknese, a woman of the family ,who a daughter,older and younger sister,called as Boru. So if the boru family,-the married women-would like to visit her older and younger brother,she must bring a food made of pork,such as .sangsang,rosted pork,in order to serve her brother family
As the boru, they must bring food to the use of pork to her brother whom if her brother have been already married,their satus will be as a Tulang ,not a brother again. If not, the Tulang will think that the Boru family do not to respect them. It will be against to the traditional bataknese law. This traditional rule is still running until now.
So, the pork is not just a pork. In the bataknese tradition, pork has a highest position among other meats. There is a honour in a pork

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About yoo_2107-ruruby


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.