Existing Member?

Taste Ukraine!

What we lose on trips

UKRAINE | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [328] | Scholarship Entry

Just like the Santiago de Compostela Cathedral attracts thousands of inspiring tourists every year, exquisite and absorbing Lviv holds its arms open to every visitor, whether he is haphazardly roaming or came to this city with a strong intention to lift the slip and plunge into whole another reality. A huge pile of books could hardly be fit on a tiny train table but in the next compartment the young couple gladly offered to place them on their table. The guy in my compartment turned out to be a Polish student on vacation who took the chance to travel throughout Ukraine. Lviv was the last destination point for him. The first one it was for me. The couple was coming back to Lviv where they met for the first time and currently live together. “Sure you can fall in love anywhere”- the lady said. “But in Lviv this feeling is multiple times stronger than anywhere else”- added her husband. Later I understood why.
On my way from the railway station to the famous Rynok Square I got lost. One lady (who can be easily taken for the nicest grandmother ever) helped me out. She was selling books not far from the city center and left her post just to take me to that square. I think I was worrying more than that woman about her cozy bookstore that she left, but she said Lviv is quite safe. And she would not be extremely upset if a shoplifter decides to increase his literacy with the help of one of her books. She was wearing vyshyvanka (traditional embroidered shirt). No, it wasn’t a holiday. Just a regular day in Lviv.

Having recommended me the most charming places to visit, the lady left. Quite soon I was sitting in a café with a few locals who were sharing their exhilarating stories on mountaineering and riding quadro-cycle in the Carpathians. Of course they also spoke of mysterious legends and magicians who are believed to live in the dense and unexplored forests. But it’s a story not for a one cup of coffee.

By the way, about local goodies and coffee. I have not been to Belgium (yet), but stereotypes claim they have the best chocolate. Well, natives of Lviv and I can argue on that part. Paradise for keen foodies with different tastes, flavors, smells include coffee with fire, pine nuts or honey as well as chocolate with almonds, strawberry or marzipan. Evening smell in Lviv is the smell of coffee.

I fell in love indeed, deeply and mutually. People say if you lost something somewhere, that means you will come back there again. In Lviv I lost my heart.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About yevheniia


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ukraine

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.