Existing Member?

Our Senses Tell Their Own Story

Through the Kenyan Looking Glass

KENYA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [308] | Scholarship Entry

Each of your senses helps tells a story. Kenya told me its own story, by the feel of the air and the smell of the land and its effortless miles of pure nature.

You can go on the safari trips and see baby elephants play mischievously with each other, as the giraffes gracefully canter in wilderness. Yet, it’s the specific hidden tracks which really take your breath away.

I was lucky enough to meet the Chief of a tribe in the Maasai Mara and he took me upon a journey so spectacular it was almost surreal.
Our loyal and trusty jeep could no longer offer us its service as we ascended further up the mountains. Equipped with nothing but a roll up mat and a sleeping bag, we climbed the rest of the way.

I stopped to catch my breath at one point, eyes closed as I inhaled deeply. The pungent smell of wood-smoke filled my nostrils, the result of the inevitable looming of dusk.

The loss of one sense alerted my others all suddenly. My ears became increasingly more sensitive towards the soft buzz of the hidden wildlife around me; silently watching my every move, masked by the magic of camouflage.

We stood at the top of Enchoro Neighbour Viewpoint; no words were spoken in that moment, just the distant roar of the lion which echoed throughout the tranquility of rural life.

I think back now to that moment where I stood with Lake Natron below me and Mount Shompole met my line of vision, appreciating nature in its finest, purest form. Sunset began to dominate the skies and soon every mountain peak was kissed softly by fiery red lips.

The air had cooled and night was upon us, we rolled out our mats and climbed into our sleeping bags. Adrenaline had left my body and I was lost in my moment of reflection. A blanket of darkness engulfed the last of the orange sky and diamond crystals began to pierce the veil of black.

I surrendered to the magnificence of the sky, the cloud of star dust from the Milky Way positioned over my head. I snuggled further into my sleeping bag, tucking my shoulders into the warmth my body at one with my surroundings and my mind so at peace with the earth. No longer a prisoner of my own mind- but a grateful witness to the captivating scenery of Kenya.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About yazytauk


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.