Existing Member?

The traveling dad

The Travel Curiosity

MOROCCO | Tuesday, 8 September 2015 | Views [570] | Scholarship Entry

Born and raised in Morocco, I moved to New York to study Film at Columbia University. Inspired by my dad, I have traveled around the world and learnt different languages while researching political science and anthropology, and directing short films about disability and mental illness. I am currently working on two documentary shorts, one about Palestinian cultural resistance in Chile, the other about Islam and queerness.
Speaking Spanish and Portuguese has allowed me to fully explore the culture of Brazil and Chile, both countries where I lived, as well as while travelling in Mexico, Argentina, and Uruguay. Capturing experiences and people’s stories in Colombia would be a great opportunity that I would love to have, as I’ve always loved travelling and understanding other people and their culture.
Last summer, I worked with Oscar winning documentary filmmaker Cynthia Wade, who was a great mentor to me. Being mentored by Brian Rapsey who has extensive experience with travel filmmaking, would be such a great opportunity. It would help me learn from someone who works as an independent filmmaker and who would be able to teach me how to strike the right balance between telling character-driven stories all while reaching a certain sense of aesthetics.
I am currently in my senior year of college and am trying to build myself a career in the documentary world, so this would be the perfect opportunity to learn how to include my passion for adventure and travel in my documentary work.

Tags: 2015 film scholarship to colombia

About yasmineb


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.