Existing Member?

Dreams in transit

Solo, space, time

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [121] | Scholarship Entry

For the first time, I was on my own in a new city, Seattle. Actually my husband was attended a conference which gave me chunks of time to explore solo. The large grid streets and high rises of downtown Seattle seem massive like the mountains. Not big on touristy things and wanting to appear like a local, I was skeptical about the Seattle Center. However after a few hours of arriving in Seattle, the Space Needle captures your attention. It is an icon of the future.
The list of offerings at the Seattle Center, a 74-acre campus built for the 1962 World's Fair, seemed overwhelming. Attractions include the Space Needle, EMP Museum, Pacific Science Center, Chihuly Glass and Garden museum, International Fountain, and Armory. But I was unable to focus on the map and guide book information. Sometimes you have to experience in person.
From downtown, I found my way to the monorail station at Westlake Center. The glass train car floated above city streets. The tunnel of the EMP museum at the Seattle Center terminus transported me from downtown skyscrapers to a relaxed yet modern campus setting.
A mix of locals and tourists enjoyed spring flowers and trees – every shade of green is available in the Pacific Northwest. My morning stroll felt like Alice in Wonderland. The Seattle Mural mosaic provided pops of color. The Pacific Science Center white lace sculpture domes looked like wedding cakes against Puget Sound. The International Fountain water danced in sync with music. New to the campus is the EMP, Experience Music Project Museum. The curvy exterior blends in with its neighbors. The metal exterior changes colors with the sky, clouds and sun. All are welcomed to wander in wonder.
The experience reminded me of my younger days, when I was fearless. My day trip reignited the excitement of navigating on your own, the start of your journey, and savoring experiences along the way. The Seattle Center is the Pacific Northwest, the edge of America, and beginning of the future.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About yaps617


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.