Existing Member?

wyatt anderson Journalism Photography

Midland College hosts Cancer Walk for patients and loved ones

USA | Wednesday, 19 November 2014 | Views [266]

Chris Kelly poses with her Husband Mickey Kelly at the MC Cancer Walk

Chris Kelly poses with her Husband Mickey Kelly at the MC Cancer Walk

                                                                              Photo by Wyatt Anderson

By Wyatt Anderson

MCP Staff Reporter                              10/28/2014

The Cancer Society of America hosted a remembrance walk in honor of those who are fighting or lost their battle to cancer. Spread out on the lawn near the bell tower, where nearly a hundred people set up booths raising money for family member who were battling cancer. 

The evening progressed as children played football in the center of the lawn, music  played, and speakers took the stand to recite poems. 

Hundreds of white paper bags lined the sidewalk, bearing the names of the deceased in remembrance. The solemn atmosphere of loss and sadness filled the night as people gathered to remember their loved ones. When the main lights were shut off for the walk releasing the yellow glow of candle light from the paper bags lighting the sidewalk. Many people began a slow pace walk as the music played, holding hands in tears. Families held each other close as they made the walk together. 

There wasn't a dry eye as the people made the walk in silence, every paper bag glowing along the way. 

The American Cancer Society reports that one in ten people are diagnosed with breast cancer every year. Women are not the only victims of this tragic disease either. There are many men diagnosed every year as well. Once the diagnosis is made, it not only effects the patient physically, but mentally and spiritually as well. The families suffer many physical and spiritual effects along with their loved one, according to the many speakers that took the stand that evening. 

Yet one thing most people had in common was that this tough sickness helps the families grow closer to each other. According to Chris Kelly faith in God has been her strongest point in her battle with breast cancer. 

“My husband and family have been with me every step of the way since I was diagnosed nine years ago,” Kelly said. “But God has been my everything through all of this.” 

Kelly agrees that this is a hard disease to cope with, but explained that even in the middle of something so horrible, God is able to come in and mold this tragedy, into something so beautiful. Kelly went on to explain that He is her everything, and nothing will ever hinder that. 

“God has taken my horrible disease and crafted this into something beautiful. My husband and I have grown closer, and so has our family. This cancer has helped me grow closer to God," Kelly said. "Nothing will hinder my relationship with Him. God is my triumph in the middle of this.”

Kelly and her husband later made their walk together, that night. Holding each other close, as one of the sponsors later remarked, that this was more than likely their last walk together. 

About wyatt_76

Interview with former president of Mexico Vicente Fox

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.