Existing Member?

Exploring the Koh Dach Island

Unforgettable Island

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [121] | Scholarship Entry

Ye Cheer…the sound of all students surprised with the news of their lecturer who said, “Tomorrow, we have a trip to Koh Dach Island; we meet up at 7 AM.”

Oops....the disappointed sound of the students with the additional news that they all not only go for trip, but also write a story for each.

Koh Dach Island, Kandal is approximately 10 kilometers end to end and is surrounded by the Mekong River, accessible via the National Road 6A by crossing the Japanese Friendship Bridge from Phnom Penh.

The day is coming and we’re gathering at the port for riding the ferry across the Mekong River to Koh Dach Commune; when arriving there, we separated in group to do a field trip. The story we could write mostly related to agriculture, since their livelihood primarily depends on silk-weaving and agriculture (banana plantations, corn, and papaya).

Also, Koh Dach is historically known for its traditional silk-weaving industry. Tourists can visit the old silk workshop based in the villagers’ homes. Moreover, the handicraft production is one of the most famous attractions. I just visited and bought Krama there.

After that, I left and continued my traveling alongside the road, which I observed that their houses and living is still in the tradition.

Traveling around the village for one hour, I finally found what I should write about. It is about the Mango Jam made by the villager. I visited two makers and village chief for interviewing to know how to make and the market of it. They were warmly welcome me and gave me some of the Mango Jam.

After getting what I need, I traveled to the riverside resort where there is a row of beach huts for visitors to enjoy the fresh air. It was a place we had to meet up once completing our work field; furthermore, my lecturer was waiting us there.

We all relax and enjoy our lunch and swimming at the Mekong River’s white-sand beach.

I can say it is a good memory that we had a tour to this part of the city and know the life style of the villagers living near the Mekong River. Likewise, I heard that a bike ride through this beautiful, green island is highly recommended.

The happiest day flew away; only the sad thing left for the students. After coming back from the trip around one week, my Lecturer’s gone away and I could not hear his advice anymore since that day. I’ll never forget the day trip there, since it is the last place I see him. This trip is the only memory that he left for me. I’m gonna miss that day forever!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About writerzone


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.