Existing Member?

North American Travel

2,830 steps later!

CANADA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [93] | Scholarship Entry

"Where's your sense of adventure?" I asked, trying to persuade my husband and son to visit Grouse Mountain. Earlier a bus driver had suggested we climb it, rather than ride both ways like tourists. "How hard can it be?" Perhaps the name 'The Grouse Grind challenge' should have been the clue!

Once there we clambered off the bus and were met by people in shorts and trainers, clutching water bottles...looking incredibly fit. My son looked at them, up the mountain then at us; back pack and SLR in hand!

Not to be deterred I enquired at the ticket office about our ascent and was told to follow the signs. Our adventure began...

The route was clearly marked with many steps, built using tree roots, to aid the climb. Stay on the right and state, "On your left!" clearly when overtaking. Overtaking? Surely no one would overtake on such a narrow, steep incline? Oh, and no turning back. Gulp!

After a good 20-25 minutes of continual climbing our legs began to make their thoughts known! "Surely we must be nearly half way by now." I offered in response to the glares from my son. Err…no.

By the 1/4 mile mark I felt I had found my pace. Though it was not long before my son decided to take off on his own and meet us at the top!
As we persevered we were passed by more runners, dripping with sweat, as they charged on trying to beat their time. For some folk this was a regular challenge! Half way came and went and we plodded on, the back pack and SLR heavier with each step. Oh for a sip of water! With the 3/4 marker in sight a renewed burst of energy ensued.

The definitive moment came when we saw our son staring down at us, ice cold water in hand, with a huge smile on his face. "Shall we do that again?"

At the top there was a food court and a shop. I purchased a well earned Grouse Grind t-shirt so I could say "Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!" After lunch we visited the resident bears before taking the cable car down. Focusing on one step at a time you do not really notice the steepness but, as we descended and admired the view, the near vertical drop was evident.

As we returned to downtown Vancouver, I felt a real sense of satisfaction to have climbed all the way to the top; within the average time of 1 1/2 hours too. If we were to do it again, and I honestly think we will, we would certainly be far more prepared knowing what it entails. No heavy bags, no SLR, just a bottle of water! It would not do to have anything to weigh us down...we have a time to beat!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About wrightattitude


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.