Existing Member?

Peculiar Travels Musings from a drama teacher wandering around the world.

Zambia Bound!

USA | Sunday, 15 January 2017 | Views [165]

This has all happened so fast. I have accepted a volunteer position with Impact Network in Zambia, where I will be working with local teachers in rural villages become more confident and stronger teachers.

How did this happen? Well, last year I had the crazy idea to take a year off... to see what I wanted to do next. I spent this past fall exploring or rather lazing around Europe full expecting to find some sort of job for this spring to get me through until the next school year. As I was looking for short term international positions, I found this: Volunteer Teachers Needed in Zambia, Africa. It was for three months, no running water, only solar power, so I jumped at it. I will be blogging about the experience here, all the bumps in the roads, everything that happens.

 As with every project, costs keep rising. So getting excited about this trip, after having spoken to Impact Network about logistics. Apparently they have selected two teachers to go, which is great. It will wonderful to have someone to experience all this with. I went out and got the shots and medicine, which cost almost a thousand dollars -- Too close to stop now.

Malaria medicine purchased! It would have been much easier if I had been in Asia. The shots were crazy expensive, and then I went to fill the prescription. The price was so high I bulked -- it would have been cheaper to fly somewhere and get the drugs there. But after a lot of research I discovered I could get the medicine at Walmart for 1/6 of the price!!! Who knew??

Today I went to REI and picked up a lot of stuff, including a solar lantern. I wonder how much of this stuff I won't use. But they will make nice gifts along the way.

My plane tickets are purchased! This is happening!

About worldtrav


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.