Existing Member?

Travel out of the box

Discover a place, discover yourself

SPAIN | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [92] | Scholarship Entry

As low-cost travelers as we were with this inner sense of curiosity for new places, we reached a squat in the city of Las Palmas, GranCanaria.There we spend a night.It was really strange that while there were luxury hotels by the sea, a few meters away there were caves where people were living. As contradictory as it was the scene with the palm trees and the gray windy sky,that contradictory was the way life was organized there.
In the morning we had breakfast in a “panaderia” and reached Playa de Ingles a famous beach with a great stretch of sand.After sunbathing by the warm semi-tropical sun, we continued our travel. There were lots of people with costumes because the annual Carnival was taking place.Also, a crowd was waiting in a circular square a local doll to start burning as a sign of the beginning of the fiesta.
Finally, we arrived at Puerto Mogan which wasn’t the ideal beach we had dreamed of but a well-constructed area with many 5-star hotels and turist-targeted shops. Immediately,we jumped on a bus which was going to Tasarte,a village near our final destination:Gui-Gui.
Unfortunately,Tasarte was a very small village in the mountains with no place to stay and it was raining heavily. Suddenly, we saw a jeep passing by and then I felt inside me that unique feeling of survival that alarmed me and I jumped in front of the car to stop it.
Luckily,Max and a film-maker Andrei who was in the middle of a shooting project decided to take us with them. Andrei wanted to reach Gui-Gui beach for his final shoot. We ended up camping with Max and Andrei, talking and laughing by the fire.That day was a proof that when you tempt your faith something good is going to happen.
We started in the morning to Gui-Gui, everyone with his own pace because we had to stay focused.I enjoyed the nature and by the top I saw the Atlantic and the mountains combined together into an extremely breathtaking view.I’ll never forget how I felt when I reached the top.I felt stronger not only physically but also from the inside.I expanded my limits, I was a new person.There I stood, in the nature, no civilization nearby only an abandoned hand-made cabin to fill our bottles with water and still eager to see the beach.
After a four hours walk,there it was: the paradise itself .Huge rocks by the sea,like a scene from cosmogony lying in front of me,the sun shining bright and my heart full of happiness. And my trip wasn’t yet about to finish…

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About worldspectrum


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.