Existing Member?

World Nomads Travel Expo Adventures

Scouts can do anything!

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 27 July 2007 | Views [1002]

Who would give up 3 weeks annual leave to fly halfway around the world and stay in a camp with 20,000 other people to be assigned the voluntary job of.... cleaning toilets? A scout would.

Who would take 4 years to earn the money to come to the World Scout Jamboree by collecting soft drink bottles at 5c per bottle? An enterprising scout would!

The World Scout Jamboree started 27 July to 7 August and is celebrating 100 years of scouting. Never have I met a more genuinely nice group of people! I shouldn't be surprised, Scouts have always had the reputation of doing good deeds in return for badges that are sewn onto their shirts or camping blankets. The old saying dyb dyb dyb means 'do your best, do your best, do your best'. In response, 'dob dob dob' means 'done our best, done our best, done our best' is what all scouts live by no matter what race, religion or age.

We have been exhibiting here to raise awareness of the World Nomads community to the Scouts. That's our official position, in reality we play volleyball and listen to stories. All we need is a campfire, necker and a woggle and we'd fit right in except we can't get used to shaking the left hand.

There are over 200 different countries represented with 40,000 day visitors coming along, 85,000 meals are prepared everyday to feed the scouts and volunteers plus all the world food tents to feed the rest of us. This is an event not to be missed! If you find yourself in Chelmsford and want to pop in and see us we are at the Plaza section of the camp. One of our World Nomads, Julie, has helped us out for a couple of days and loved it so much she's coming back on Sunday.

Tags: scouts, world nomads, world scout jamboree

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.