Existing Member?

Overland Tales

Week 9: Sleeping in the Office

CZECH REPUBLIC | Tuesday, 29 January 2008 | Views [329]

I continued to be based in Prague, working out of my hostel bed and feeling comfortable.  Having got the majority of my work done I allowed myself a few trips out.  I explored the old town, amazed at how packed it was out of season - no doubt the British Invasion taking advantage of cheap Easyjet flights for a weekend break (and who can blame them).  Prague castle, which apparently I had visited eight years previously but had no recollection of, offered a great panorama over the city.  I trawled the grounds with my fellow tourists but started to get annoyed by their sheer numbers.  It took the biscuit when I entered the castle cathedral and found people chatting at normal volume.  Despite being an atheist, I maintain that a certain level of respect is required in places of worship and the lack of it shown disgusted me.

Later in the week, as a celebration of the site I had just completed, I went out for a slap-up meal at the Staropramen Brewery, within walking distance of the hostel (and stumbling distance back).  The food was pricey but sublime; I went for a gorgeous Argentinian steak followed up by the best cheesecake I have tasted in recent memory (and I eat a lot of cheesecake).  It was all washed down with a few jars of deliciously cheap (50p / US $1) fresh Staropramen beer.

The "working from hostel bed" idea had proven incredibly productive, so I decided to repeat it in my next destination north: Berlin.

About worldnomad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.