Existing Member?

IndonesianBackpakers

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 13 April 2012 | Views [332] | Scholarship Entry

One thing that I like when visiting a town is to taste the food especially the native foods. Sometimes the taste or the choice of the food explain the way of the native people life. I am lucky enough to be raised in my home town Jakarta, Indonesia. Even the traffic not very good but the choice of the food is so many. Well just said Jakarta is an urban town so many people come to Jakarta to improve their social status. When they come to Jakarta they also bring they culture and that means they also bring the home town food. If there a new food I will soon try it with my friend because we are the culinary adventurer.
So when I got an opportunity to work abroad from my home town, the first thing I want to taste is the food. When I go to Jogjakarta, Semarang and Surabaya I will search for nasi kucing and tempe bacem, the sweet taste of the food show and explain how usually Javanese people speak politely and sometimes they don't usually speak directly about their mind. Most of Javanese people are farmer's because of that the material to make the food is vegetables.
Is different kind situation when you go to Sumatera, most of the food taste are spicy, salt and sour. The raw material of the food usually taken from the sea like fish, prawn, crab and squid. Usually Sumatran people use coconut milk to cook their meal. I know this very well because my parent are from Bangka island. So the I know very well the taste of the Sumatran food.
I learn how to face native people from their food because from my experience the food you eat became your identity. If people who like sweet food they don't usually speak to the point, but with people who like spicy food they usually speak to the point of their mind sometimes it look very harsh for other person who doesn't understand their characters.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About worldjourney


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.