Existing Member?

Journeys of a Corporate Slave

Before we leave.

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 14 December 2011 | Views [543]

Bought travel insurance from World Nomads. Type 'travelfish' for a 10% discount on travel insurance.

Transparency Int. places Cambodia 166 in the Corruption Rankings. I wanted a gauge so checked out Indonesia and found them to be 66 places higher at 100. SIXTY SIX.
I mean, Indonesia is the most corrupt country I know?!

Finally, delightful reports like the one I shared with Rachel abound. 
I'd actually been planning to maybe check out Heart of Darkness but then I read this on TalesofAsia.com :

The famous Heart of Darkness has had its share of problems as on occasions it has become apparent that not everyone has to check their weapons or their attitudes at this door. The music is not to everyone's taste, customers are not to some of the staff's taste, and there is consistent trouble on this strip and inside that bar. Shootings, running battles, rich young Cambodians with attitudes, poor disenfranchised Cambodians with gangster accents and attitudes, large vehicles which were not built for civilian passengers on the doorstep and selective security guards (why check Western tourists in singlet tops and shorts for weapons if you are just going to let the locals and their bodyguards swan past, guys?). On a bad night, it can be just plain dangerous. When guns go off, there is absolutely nothing to take cover behind after the hookers hit the floor.

And Lonely Planet tells me not to be alarmed when you hear shots in the night... they're just drunk people shooting,... once in awhile.

Awesome. 

Tags: cambodia, insurance

About worldchild


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.