Existing Member?

Feed my stomach and my soul

LOCALize Me

COSTA RICA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [181] | Scholarship Entry

My trip to picturesque Coast Rica began in a torrential typhoon. Cool.

The truth is, without experiences, a destination is simply that.

Costa Rica sparkles with jungle fever. The second our plane landed, our noses were filled with the scent of rain and sounds of monkeys swinging above us. Even after being stranded at our resort, after midnight, in the pouring rain because we had been given a key to a room, which already had residents in it...this was one of the best trips of my life.

After the rain subsided and we had a complimentary “I’m sorry, please don’t sue us” breakfast, we were escorted on an excursion, which took us into the depths of the Costa Rican rainforest. We were taken to the home of a local woman who cooked for us an authentic meal consisting of rice, dark coffee, fresh juice, marinated chicken, fried cheese, and rice pudding. Stray dogs, which are common to the country, roamed around us offering kisses, which I excitedly accepted as I was missing my puppies back in America. Any pet parent will tell you that leaving your pets is like leaving your kids.

I remember thinking how lame this excursion would be. No adventure? No adrenaline? I quickly learned that I was the one who was lame.

To travel is to learn, and without local experiences, whatever they may be, we don’t learn.

We inhaled the decadent food leaving no room for leftovers, though we still found room. We then boarded a small boat, which was steered by the most beautiful man I had ever laid my eyes on...Juan Carlos. Yes, this man was truly breathtaking; holding a bottle of cold beer as beads of sweat rolled down his smooth, tan face. Ladies...you know what I’m talking about. He was that guy. That guy who made me feel less pretty JUST because of how pretty he was. Oh, Juan Carlos, I do hope we meet again.

Juan Carlos brought pieces of raw chicken to feed to hungry crocodiles. The prehistoric reptiles swam up to our boat and devoured the chicken that Juan Carlos was so bravely teasing them with. Our tiny motor boat tugged along to take us to a family of bright green iguanas, tiny black bats lined up on the trees, monkeys, and birds, which serenaded us down the muddy river through the damp, misty forest.

As we made our way back the all-inclusive resort, I couldn’t help but think how truly full I felt. Not just my stomach, but also my soul. Don’t ever take a trip without getting a deep sense of the local culture. It will change you. I promise.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About wonderingsoulbnz


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.