Existing Member?

The exciting adventures of wonderbunny

A Star Spangled Summer

USA | Tuesday, 15 June 2010 | Views [236]

I've been rather bad at keeping my adventure blog! Something I can only attribute to having far too much fun, seeing loads of places and doing many exciting things! Thought I'd better start it before I leave the US, so will get cracking.
It's going to be impossible to fit in the last two weeks into one blog in any detailed kind of fashion - so I'll be as brief as I can. The journey started in San Francisco, where the permafog didn't stop me biking the golden gate bridge and seeing Alcatraz (it tried). A quick trip up to Napa valley for wine tasting before heading down to Yosemite National Park. The scenery (as you can imagine) was breathtaking, and no photo or explanation could really do it justice. The adventure continued along the coast (precarious cliff top roads) through Monterey and on to LA. Think concrete jungle, and then spread it over so many miles you'll think it'll never end. The light pollution from this city was so bad you may as well have turned your car headlights off driving down the roads. Universal Studios (was SO much fun!), Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Malibu were full of their mansions and money, but nothing like you see on the TV.
Having escaped the neon lights it was on to Orange county and it's posh beaches. Having never watched "The OC" I can't compare, but it was full of rich golf players/surfer dudes. Waving good bye to the six packs it was off to San Diego, where - when I wasn't quoting Anchorman - I managed to get soaked in Seaworld, go on PANDA WATCH in San Diego zoo and share a hostel with not one, but TWO crazy guys. Put them together and it was better than anything they had on TV. No time to stop, it was back on the road and into the desert. I had never experienced 42 degrees centigrade before, but it is so hot, that when you get out of the air conditioned car, you feel like you've walked into a fan assisted oven - even the air is cooking you. When a outdoor swimming pool is boiling, you know it's best not to take that dip...
Finally here we are - Flagstaff Arizona. As much of the way as was possible was done on the old route 66 (including the 1930's 'the road has disintegrated' bits) just to keep in authentic, and having filled up on munch and settled into the latest Hostel, I'm rinsing the free Wifi so that you can hear my amazing trip so far!
Stay tuned for updates!
:)

 

About wonderbunny

Highway 1 on the way to LA

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.