Existing Member?

amazing travel

A Migration in the African Safar

TUNISIA | Monday, 11 May 2015 | Views [177] | Scholarship Entry

Prior to my visit to Kenya in September 2014 , I used to have a lot of misgivings about going to the African hinterland. Thinking of a visit to the savannah grasslands of Africa used to conjure pictures of tripping on deadly snakes, being chased along a trail by a pack of lions or having your campfire surrounded by hungry hyenas and wild dogs at night. Funny enough, my visit to Kenya wasn’t for an encounter with hyenas or snakes, but to observe the famous annual migration of wildebeest from Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya to the Serengeti in Tanzania.
The Maasai Mara National Reserve is located on Kenya’s western is approximately about 160 miles and 6 hours by road from the Kenyan capital of Nairobi .Arriving at the reserve, which forms part of the great annual wildebeest migration corridor between Tanzania and Kenya, I was struck by the breathtaking beauty of the landscape:
During my 6-day stay, we had 5 different sorties from our camp-hotel into the park: 2 at dawn of the first and third days, and 3 at dusk of the second, fourth and fifth day. I had a really exhilarating experience sighting not only wildebeest, but also zebras, giraffes, impalas, and of course, wildebeest to mention but a few. On the dusk of the fourth day, we actually observed a pack of lions chase and maul down a mighty buffalo. It was quite a sight!
The best expedition I had in the pack was a hot air balloon ride over the Maasai River to watch hordes of wildebeest attempt to cross at various section of the river. It was a battle for survival. What with crocodiles and hippos lurking beneath the surface of the water. Many sections of the river were sights of such epic battles as evidenced by the froth formed from the struggle of an unfortunate wildebeest trapped in the vicious jaws of a hippo or a crocodile. One didn’t need a crystal ball to know the eventual winner(s) in such battles. Many a wildebeest ended up as food for the ravenous crocs and hippos, but a vast majority made it across and continued to their destination.
This park will be an ideal destination for nature lovers . For the best experience, do not go on a safari alone, but in groups led by a local guide. In this way, you get to see many interesting species of wild animals and will be sure not to miss the wildebeest. The hot air balloon ride over the Maasai River is also another experience that you will treasure for a long time to come. A word of caution: the details can sometimes be gory.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About wissou


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tunisia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.