Existing Member?

Above earth

checkpoints

PALESTINE | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [66] | Scholarship Entry

The first step you ever put in a plane is the first step into a life.
In a country is not visited by anyone nor anything but warplanes though it doesn't have an airport, he dreams to get in a plane, to try an air not like the air he used to know, and to see a sun, to implant his foot in the snow, to know something about the rivers, and more other things about the sky.

March 13th 2011
In a small city called Gaza, surrounded by checkpoints and closed crossings, and devoid of airports, The destiny gave him a chance to be on a plane, and to visit the city that he left when he was only a fetus, and he didn't see that country except by his mother's eyes.
And to leave he had to approach from the nearest airport, and to pass a permanently shut crossing, that means he must reach the neighboring country "Egypt". Unexpectedly and fortunately, he reached in there.

March 15th 2013
Egypt was still suffering the effects of the revolution, it's airport was receiving all humans on earth except Palestinians, if they left that airport, there would have to shed a lot of tears to return to it. But it was the first time he will be in a plane, and in which he will hold a big bag, and if he reached, he will return with many new stories, and a very graceful memory, this deserves tears, and a venture.

March 16th 2013
He carried his case, made a farewell with the Nile, and gave a last look at Cairo, and went to achieve his nicest dream: to be on a plane.
The plane, in which his heart palpitated twice when it ascended, carried him into the city his mother dreamt in. When his feet touched the city's land for the first time, he needed to cry. He felt he is born now, he felt that the plane was not only his mother's womb, and that he is out for "life" now.

March 22nd 2013
It was the end of his visit, he is done with the book fair, met friends from his original country, they were separated by checkpoints that prevented them to meet before. He is ready now to leave and to return to his permanent place, but before this, he had to have a visa to return, the Egyptian embassy refuses to give it to particularly Palestinians. After hours of crying, they gave it to him, to return to Cairo without even seeing it, they put him in the relay chamber, and moved him into the "permanently closed crossing", to return to the city that doesn't have an airport, and not visited by anything nor anyone but by warplanes.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About window


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Palestine

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.