Existing Member?

They call me Willy Fog

Catching a Moment - Snow catastrophe

HUNGARY | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [377] | Scholarship Entry

It's not normal to see snow in the middle of March, but seven days before the beginning of the spring a snowstorm hit Hungary hours ahead we had to drive all the way from Bratislava to the airport in Budapest.

We decided to leave two hours earlier than expected to avoid problems on the roads, but the police deviated us to a secondary road one kilometre after we entered the Magyar highway. Slowly driving under the blizzard we started to fear about our flight, but we kept the hope till the moment when another police guy forced us to stop, commanding us to sleep on a parking lot near Gyor.

“Sleep? We have to get to the airport,” we said.
“No, two meters snow,” he just babbled in return.
We tried our German exclaiming, “Flughafen!”
But we got the same answer, “nein, schlafen!”

We couldn't believe there was two meters of snow when we could see just few centimetres around us, but any of the police guys was able to speak more than a few words in English, and Hungarian is so different to any other language, including the Slovak that we are able to speak, that the communication was impossible.

Fear, rage, uncertainty, anxiety, distress, all the bad feelings at once started to take possession of us; nevertheless we thought on a last minute solution, if we could make it to the train station there may be a chance... But there wasn't, trains were suffering more than two hours of delay frustrating our dream of arriving to the airport.

We headed to the nearest McDonald's to use the WiFi seeking for information. Not only in Internet but also in the spot we discovered the stories of other people in the same dramatic situation.

Assuming we were losing our flight to Mexico was hard but it could have been even worse as there were hundreds of cars stranded for hours under snowdrifts of up to 3 meters.

At the same time that we should have been taking off, the Hungarian Government declared the state of emergency. The illusion of a long planned trip with the excitement of crossing the so-called Pond, Atlantic Ocean, were suddenly completely vanished by drops of hopeless tears.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About willyfog


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.