Existing Member?

Will It Rain Away

Lovely Sri Lanka

SRI LANKA | Sunday, 18 May 2008 | Views [807]

Almost paradise....

Almost paradise....

Well once again I write this blog, post experience and once again I have uploaded loads of photos to do the talking for us.

To sum up, two weeks was not enough time for us to see all that we wanted in Sri Lanka. After so long in India I guess we had gotten used to the luxury of taking our time and really experiencing places. So we decided to take the same approach in SL and just see a small part rather than do a rushed whirlwind tour. Of course this was also due to the problems in the north of the country, but really this has no effect on the south apart from a shortage of tourists.

We started in Colombo, went to Kandy then Ella on the train (in the hills-amazing scenery and tea plantations) and then finished with a week on the coast in Tangalle and Galle Fort where we were put Will's birthday money to good use at the amazing Galle Fort Hotel. It basically cost what we spend a week to stay for one night and was absolutely amazing. Thay certainly weren't used to people rocking up in tuk-tuks with backpacks on, and perhaps from the shock of it, thet upgraded us to a deluxe suite (perhaps they knew we would not leave the room and scare other guests) But actually, as in every other place we visited, we were the ONLY guest bar 1 or 2. You really have to feel for the Sri Lankan's. Not only the tsunami but now the war is really stoppin gthem from getting back on their feet. Everyone we spoke to said the same thing, "no tourists, no  buisness" It is very sad to see. So, rather than giving to charity, why doesn't everyone go on holiday there instead (you won't regret it- so much better than wearing a red nose)

So after a fab two weeks we spent 3 days in Bangkok sorting Visa's for Vietnam and eating icecream and watching movies in plush, enormous shopping malls. And now we are in Vietnam, at the airport awaiting Rhett's arrival. In fact his plane will lnad in 10 minutes, so I am off to give my big brother a big kiss and hug!

Until next time,

Will and Raina

 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.