Existing Member?

Will It Rain Away

Trekking, Elephants and Birthdays

INDIA | Monday, 14 April 2008 | Views [4628] | Comments [3]

Christine, Will and Raina at Poon Hill

Christine, Will and Raina at Poon Hill

Well we have just come to the end of three and a half eventful weeks in Nepal. We have done so much in this short time that it is hard to know where to start.

Firstly, as you may have heard, the elections have been going on during our visits, which has resulted in the Maoist's winning with a landslide victory. We have never been far from the politics, even when in remote villages in the Annapurna's. Very often one of the forty something parties would come rallying through trying to drum up supporters. We did not experience or witness any tension to do with the elections and the Nepalese certainly think it all went very smoothly. To quote "The Himalayan" on the 11th April; '...Despite the deaths of scores of people in poll related violence, the election day itself has been largely peaceful.....' Hate to read what an un-peaceful election has to offer!

The other big event that has taken place during our stay is the advent of the New Year. That's right folks, on April 13th Nepal entered the year 2065. Celebrations were restrained due to a pre-occupation with the elections and a ban on alcohol for the 12th. We saw on the news that there was a procession that took place here, which unfortunately saw 12 people badly injured after a huge ceremonial chariot toppled over and squashed them. People are superstitious here and it is reported that this incident does not bode well for the year 2065. Last time this happened to the chariot was the year of the Royal massacre(!)

All that aside our time here has been amazing. Most of the time we spent trekking in the Annapurna Range, which was just so spectacular, there are no words to decribe it. We flew to Jomsom in a tiny plane and saw below the return trek. It was a 15 minute flight, and it takes 10 days to get back on foot! We had 14 days in all and saw such varied and wonderful things. This is the time of year when the Rhododendron forests are in bloom and it is quite a sight.Pink and red everywhere you look and every corner you turn presents another postcard view that you can't quite believe. Although some days the trek was very strenuous, we were easily distracted by all this natural beauty.

Highlights of the trek were climbing Poon Hill at 4:45am to an amazing sunrise and incredible mountain views. Also the Hot Springs at Jhinu were fantastic. Nothing more wonderful than being able to soak your tired limbs in natural hot water pools by a white water river. Even though the last thing you felt like was decending for 20 minutes to reach it, it was so good we went twice. This was especially worthwhile as sometimes (most of the time) the guaranteed 24 hour hot showers, were not exactly working; "Hot shower working"?

          "Yes"

          "Yes"?

          "Yes, solar power. But not today because no sun"!

You get the picture!

Christine (mum) celebrated her 60th in style and I was pretty amazed that chocolate cake and candles were at hand so far from Kathmandu. In fact the choice of food on the Annapurna Circuit is pretty phenomonal; from Pizza and burgers to soup and apple crumble. Everywhere you go the menu's are the same, it's just the variations on how the food comes out that keeps you guessing! Hilarious, but the best news is, none of us got any tummy upsets along the way. All the guesthouse and restaurants have signs assuring trekkers of there high quality. A favourite of mine was in Tatopani, which stated "See through kitchen for guaranteed hygenic fooding"

Along the route and in fact all over Nepal you pass people carrying amazingly heavy and enormous loads. It is astounding what the Nepalese can haul. For a largely diminutive race of people, this is just everyday work for them and it certainly makes you stop and think how easy we all have it. Carrying stuff is what keeps this country together. Men, woman, children, packhorses, cows and yaks make it possible for people to live in the most remote places.

After returning from our trek, we headed off to Chitwn National Park. Mum, Will and I got friendly witht the elephants and we saw 3 wild rhinos.

Then it was back to Kathmandu for sightseeing before mum headed back home for Australia.


So much more to say, but off to get on a bus to India (17 hours for our sins) Hopefully the photos will sum up the rest for me.

Love to all and you will hear from us soon

xWill it Rain

 

Comments

1

Sounds fantastic. Brilliant to see all the photos and hear all about it. I hope your bus journey is not too horrendous and look forward to the next installment.

Hugs, Matt

  Matt Apr 17, 2008 9:55 PM

2

Hi darlings, well I have been dipping in and out of your blog and it all sounds amazing. All the same here Sam been away in Mexico I have just finished a 16 day stint 10 till 6 every day .... Olly back at Oxford, just got a
merit in 2nd year exams - good boy. Have 4 dogs this weekend Lola and Luca and my 2 Also Barbecue on Sunday for 20 Should be fun Take care both of you, lots of love Ally xxx

  Ally Apr 18, 2008 5:40 AM

3

Hey Will and Raina,

Sounds like you're having an amazing time. Glad you got good weather for your trek - I did the Poon Hill circuit except it rained most of the time and there were leeches and mud-slides. Did see the top of a mountain for about 10 mins one morning but the rest of the time we were in cloud...nice ;)

Missing you back here - book club just aint the same without ya!

L
x

  Lucy Apr 21, 2008 8:38 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.