Existing Member?

Will It Rain Away

Goa and Beyond

INDIA | Monday, 25 February 2008 | Views [1025] | Comments [14]

On the rice barge, Alleppy

On the rice barge, Alleppy

We have covered some ground since the last blog and we now find ourselves in Munnar. We spent four days chilling out in Goa and managed to leave without wearing anything tied dyed. Goa is fine but not really our style. If we wanted to hang out with that many Europeans we would have gone to the Turkish coast. Russia has just discovered this part of the world and if you closed your eyes and stepped into a fridge you could be in St Petersburgh.

After Goa we flew to Kochin. Loved this quiet town to bits. Amazing mixture of colonial Portuguese and British architecture, alongside 14th Century Chinese fishing nets. Got chatting to the locals down at the cricket ground where there are at least 10 matches taking place.....hard to spot which ball belongs to who. Attempted tot walk around for a day, but walking in the heat, the Indians think you are mad and you must constantly turn down rickshaw drivers. Eventually you just jump in one when you can't face saying no anymore (and they're right- it is too hot to walk!)


From Kochin we went to Alleppy to float through Kerala's backwaters. Think Venice, take away the buildings and replace with palm trees and banana plantations. The locals were so friendly, constantly waving and engaging you in conversation. "From"? and "Your good name"? being the usual conversation starters. Replying "Australia" launches you into the mandatory cricket conversation (A lot of Ponting supporters here) "England" gives you cricket or football. Luckily these are two topics that we like!

From Alleppy we went to find some wildlife at Periyar National Park. Unfortunately this resulted in us seeing a couple of monkeys and not the wild elephants and tigers we had read about. Last tiger sighting here was 3 years ago, but this is something you discover after you have forked out the cash (of course) Anyway there were some amusing moments like walking to the bus station to find out bus times. Three guys sitting on a verandah shout down to us and ask what we are looking for. "A bus" we reply and go on our way. 5 minutes later a bearded guy on a motorbike pulls up alongside and says "Are you by any chance looking for me" Very confused we say no. He says my friends called me and said you were. I say " No, we are just looking for a bus" Suddenly a light goes on as he replies that his name is Abas! Funny times.

So anyway, we got the hell outta there and came upon the lovely Munnar which was a terrifying 5 hour bus journey through the mountains (is he really going to take that hairpin bend at this speed........?!) where we have spent the last 2 days, and plan to spend two more. We are staying up out of the town amongst tea plantations. The houses have rusted, corrugated iron roofs and are reminiscent of Australia. Every square inch of this place on every mountain is planted with tea. It is an amazing landscape, truly inspirational. To put it into words it reminds me of a Japanese zen garden, the ones where you rake sand into patterns around boulders and stones. Instead of raked sand, picture tea plantations. They hug every countour of the land and are plucked every 15 days, keeping them as pristine and perfect as if they were clipped box hedges at Versailles. This place has definitely been a highlight so far. Kerala is a fantastic state, but we will move on and head to the neighbouring Tamil Nadu next.

There are some moments here that put such a smile on your face. This morning we got up at 6:30 to get a rickshaw up to the highest point here. Sitting in the back, the view of the driver Kumar, the obligatory shrine on the dash, sub woofer speakers in the back pumping out a dance version of "The Final Countdown" Surely this only happens in India? I guess we will find out!

Until next time, R and W

Tags: Adventures

 

Comments

1

Sounds amazing and the photos are beautiful! I hope you found your bus in the end...!

  Meg Feb 26, 2008 12:54 AM

2

It sounds too inspirational for words! x

  Tamara Feb 26, 2008 10:18 AM

3

You write so well I almost feel I'm there with you, sounds truely amazing.
No mention of the lindy challenge hope that doesn't mean your not doing it ;o) go on have a twirl now.
I am about to book trip to Sydney, looks like I'll be there from about the 16/12 - 5/1. Let me know if your heading to the central coast around that time.
Sonia x

  Sonia Feb 27, 2008 9:47 PM

4

Nice barge, Marge. keep 'em coming. Will show Ally tonight.

  derek Feb 27, 2008 11:31 PM

5

Sounds amazing and looks so beautiful, very envious but really happy that you guys are having a wonderful time. The landscape from the photos looks breath taking x

  Sarah Feb 27, 2008 11:36 PM

6

Sam is currently giggling his head off here in Amsterdam as his hands play the drums to the Final Countdown. He seems to like the high-hat in particular! Sounds like you guys are truly getting away from it all and look forward to hearing more...
Love from us all x

  Adam, Michelle & Sam Feb 28, 2008 8:29 PM

7

love the imagery im getting from your words and experiences raina,what a crazy awesome world it is over there.I know alot of the water is a bit skanky but do they grow anything in it that you can see{i dont mean aquaturds}love the pics.
xoox
rhett

  rhett Feb 28, 2008 9:56 PM

8

Thanks for the messages folks. Sonia we have done Lindy Hop once here.....hope we don't get to rusty while we are away. Struggling to complete your challenge, but will try harder!
Rhett, if there are any astro-turds in the water, you can guarantee they would be here!
Good to see Sam is honing his music appreciation skills Adam.

Love to all

Raina

  raina Feb 28, 2008 10:43 PM

9

Hi Guys,

What a fantastic time. Some great pictures you've taken there. I'm almost, almost reconsidering my views on India. Its not all mad crowds in New Delhi and Varanasi. Have a great one, and keep up the blog.

Regards.

Wayil.

  Wayil Feb 29, 2008 9:52 AM

10

hey raina please can you let me know your exact itinery for when your in NAM.I have a guide book that i borrowed from a mate and have got sort of excited,not for sure im coming in may but I would {if i went} like to visit hano-}im thinkin 2 weeks??anyway peace out dudet.
xox

  rhett Feb 29, 2008 9:43 PM

11

sounds like you are having an amazing time- everything you described just as I remembered it except sadly I feel I grossly missed out not having gone to Munnar and had your final countdown experience. Truly special.
Bizarre to think of you in sunny india as I sit in a hot tradeshow in paris with polly looking at the ugliest handbags known to man opposite us: think of the blue furry monster from monsters inc with a handle- mmm nice. Looking forward to the next update xxx

  amy Anderson Mar 1, 2008 2:49 AM

12

Dead jealous! Great to hear you're having a fab time. P & M xxx

  phil Mar 2, 2008 5:39 PM

13

Thanks for the update! Wish I was there too...

Anna xx

  Anna Mar 4, 2008 10:28 PM

14

Hey Raina i'm lost in India after reading that,damn but you write beautifully. i would love to see some pics of that tea plantation.
will check back on your journeys now i have this link

xx liz

  liz Mar 7, 2008 5:11 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.