Existing Member?

The One Of A Kind

Sharing Stories - A Glimpse into Another's Life - SORSOGON CITY, THE FIERIEST OF THEM ALL

PHILIPPINES | Thursday, 18 April 2013 | Views [447] | Scholarship Entry

In an Asian country, Philippines can be one of the greatest because of its tourist spots which makes it the fieriest of all. The Philippine archipelago was composed of more than 7, 100 islands, and one of these islands really makes an impact of what Philippine is - as country, as people and as culture. This place was located at the southern part of Luzon which is said to be as "Gateway to Southern Philippines". A place that attracted the foreign invaders during colonization period because of its enormous beauty and quality. A place, where people value life, culture and traditions. And this place was none other than Sorsogon City, my home town that capture the eye of immensity.

Sorsogon was build out of compassion despite of wars, hatred, and conflict that were encountered. These miseries made the town historical and create its own name to be proud of. The name Sorsogon was derived from the native word “Sosogon” which means, to follow the way that lead to the right place. According to the elders, what makes this place special was its history and people to tell. The ancestors that lived here believed in the essence of prosperity and holiness that every one of us was born for love and purpose. This belief was one that makes Sorsoganons of today, with identity and uniqueness. Also, it was documented that during the Spanish era, Sorsogon was considered as finest place for Galleon Trade because of its native product like Abaca rope and root crops, as well as it was known for its ship repair services that last for a long time.

Today, Sorsogon City was known for its sceneries that gives inexplicable ambience. Here you can visit the Bulusan Lake near Bulusan Volcano which is truly outstanding. You will miss the experience in swimming together with the biggest fish that ever lived in this world, the Whale Sharks that can be found at Donsol. If you are aiming to see some different you can visit the Subic Beach in Matnog because of its white sand and mirror like water. The foods that make you hot and sweet were the “Bicol Express”, a pure spicy food and sweet “Pili Nuts” as delicacies.

There are lot more that need to be discovering in Sorsogon like many other places. This town is one among thousands of places that can be found in the Philippines which have a story to share. What can I assure is, they all make difference.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About wilflorenz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.