Existing Member?

My Trip To Wild Places

My Trip To Little Known Uhuru Falls On River Nile

UGANDA | Tuesday, 29 April 2014 | Views [294] | Scholarship Entry

Uhuru Falls, The Little Known Independence Gift To Uganda.
Franklin Draku
Murchison Falls
It is overshadowed by the might Murchison Falls that very few people actually know the true name of the falls, just few meters away from the Murchison Falls. On 8th January 2014, I took a trip to one of the finest places nature has offered in Uganda-Murchison Falls National Park and I will never forget my view of Both the mighty Murchison Falls and the twin sister-The Uhuru Falls. With magnificent view and beauty, my day turned out to be the one I will never regret and each time I go back to view the photos I took in the place of the wild nature.
Uhuru falls came into existence in 1962, the same year Uganda got independence- a reason why it is called Uhuru Falls.
In 1962, Uganda received heavy rainfall which forced part of Murchison Falls to create a tributary that formed the second falls, named Uhuru, meaning independence because it was the same year Uganda got independence. Since then, the falls has created a spectacular view and often are referred to as twin falls.
Henry Buzu, a guide within the park says the falls has been stable since the time it was formed. Buzu says the Uhuru falls has a significant place in the history because it was an independence gift to Uganda. He also wonders how the falls started in the same year Uganda attained independence from their colonial masters-Britain. He says the falls is a big tourist attraction, though little is known about it;

Buzu however says the falls is facing threat of extinction from numerous power dams being constructed along the Nile. The guide says four years ago, the Uhuru Falls disappeared during the construction of Bujagali dam. He says though since then it has been stable, the same may happen during the construction of Karuma dam.
Murchison Falls. Photo By Ezaruku Draku Franklin
Jossy Muhangi, the Public Relations Manager of Uganda Wildlife Authority says they are making deliberate efforts to promote and popularize hiking up to the top of both falls. He says Total Oil Company has already construed a hiking line for tourists o hike from the Acholi plains. He says Ugandans should take advantage of such facilities to explore more about their country.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About wildtrip


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.