Existing Member?

Wild Eyes

Documentary Scholarship 2011 entry

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 10 June 2011 | Views [255] | Scholarship Entry

I still vividly recall my first close encounter with a lion in the wild, and the satisfaction that I felt when I took that almost perfect picture of him hiding in the tall grass, his mane glistening in the evening sun. Because it got me hooked on photography. While attending the Wildlife Film Academy, in Entabeni, South Africa, I was curious to find out what this experience had been like for the locals that I met. Why is it that whatever experience people seek with wild animals –be it on TV, in zoos or even the African wildlife safari – an encounter with the lion remains high on the list?

As a conservationist I’ve had the opportunity to interact with many local communities in east Africa, and see the rich interplay between man, his culture and his environment. As an African, I realize that there are hundreds of great stories told about our planet, just not enough from an African perspective. As an aspiring documentary maker, who has made a number of short films, in collaboration with and for local communities, I would like to see a day when there will be more stories from Africa, told the African way.

Tags: #2011video, travel documentary scholarship 2011

About wildeyes


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.