Existing Member?

Free as a bird.

When dreamer becomes nomad. Way to find Home.

VIETNAM | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [171] | Scholarship Entry

I woke up; could not remember how I fell as sleep. The bus was shaking a little bit. Others passengers were in deeply sleep. It’s dark outside.
2:00 am.
It had been 12 hours away from home.
Yes, 12 hours ago, I have made very quick decision. Quit. Then go. I could not bare or pretend that I can suffer from accepting being stuck in just one place anymore. I bought a one-way ticket to Thailand.
After a 2 hour flight and 10 hours on bus, I am here, in Chiang-Khong - the province along the Mekong River. The Mekong is flowing non-stop in front of these patios. On the other side is Laos.
I heard the Mekong before I saw it. Yes, I heard the Mekong so many times in geography class since I was young. I saw the Mekong before I felt it. I used to view the Mekong from the lens of learner. The fact is that the most beautiful thing in the world must be felt, together with heard and seen...Luckily, I am here, finally feel the Mekong in the way it is.
I wander around; enjoy the sound of silent in a small town and slow-lifestyle. The kids are running on the road, racing with the bike. It seems like their moms are waiting for them with delicious food.
Is it the unique scene? Maybe not, but I didn’t have enough time for it before.
I talked to the children, of course I don’t know Thai, and they also don’t know English much. However, we both keep talking, listening to each other; try to understand by the way of talking, the expression on faces, on eyes. Is this the lesson learn of traveling?
“What I’ll never forget
Even for many years later
It was the big brown eyes and the bright smiles of the children
The fear of unknown future of myself
When I was away from the road
And maybe the hope in hopeless also”
I catch the boat and go to Laos before sunset, plan to stay there 1 night and be back to Thailand the next morning. It can’t be easier to go abroad.
I’d see many, although extremely exhausted from an all-day work, sat by the Mekong for a night talk. Somebody's fingers were stumbling the guitar in the background. Wild laughs. Naive voice. I am sitting near, writing a post card.

“Dear mom,
I really don’t know how I ended up here, but what I never forget is today I am happy. When I thought I lost my way, I found MYSELF
[...]
It’s the little thing makes a man happy. It is not the destination that matter, happiness lies along the way. That’s how life is supposed to be. Moving, Updating, Sharing, and Inspiring.
And I know, it’s just a starting point”

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About wild-mint-free


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.