Existing Member?

Sabrina's Travel Notes

Bunk Beds and Chicken Coops

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 17 July 2011 | Views [615] | Comments [1]


I cant believe that I’m more thank half-way through my time in Cambodia.  In a little over a month, I’ll be back on London.  Although I miss my friends in London, I really wish I could have more time here. 

The last few weeks have been great in very different ways.  Thanks to a generous donation from one of the readers of this blog, the $2700 was secured for bunk beds in the shelter.  We even managed to cut a deal with the bed makers so that we could mattresses and mosquito nets.  Local builders are making the beds, and they should be ready for delivery on the 29th of July, just in time for John to help put them together.  I cannot thank the wonderful donor enough, and I know that the donation will help to make the shelter feel more like a home.

Yesterday was spent building a chicken coop.  A lot of money is spent on food for the girls in the shelter, and so HCC has tried to find to ways to cut costs and make the center more self reliable.  For the last few years they have been able to get fish from the lake on the premises, and this year they will get 50 chickens to raise as well as a vegetable garden.  All of these projects are a great way to give the girls, and especially the young ones, what it means to work as a unit and also how to provide for yourself.  It was very funny to build this chicken coop in the Cambodian heat, as it was not at all what I expected.  I imagined an English style chicken coop—simple design, wood, nails, ect.  I didn’t even think that we do it Cambodian style.  When I arrived there was frame built out of what I think is bamboo, and there were hundreds of palm leaf roof parts.  A few o   f my colleagues immediately climbed high up on the structure to begin tying the palm leaves to the roof.  I myself worked from the ground.  It was really nice to be a part of the project, and great to learn about the process.  The same methods used to build the chicken coop are used for houses in the countryside (except they are usually built on stilts).  I have to admit, the heat got the better of me and I didn’t stay the whole day (I’m sure I will hear about it at work on Monday).

 

In the last few weeks I have been lucky to go to the shelter frequently and spend some time with the girls.  In a short time, I’ve come to really enjoy my time there, and especially with the little ones.  It is really heartbreaking, however, to see just how many young girls are there (and by young, I mean younger than 10 years old).  Apparently in the last 5 years especially, the girls are getting younger and younger.   For those of you who haven’t been reading, the girls are at the shelter because of at least 1 of the following reasons:  Human Trafficking (usually sex trafficking for prostitution), exploitation (also usually sexual exploitation), abuse (also usually sexual) or because they are seen as being at high risk for one the previous situations.  The youngest girl at the shelter is currently 6 years old and was abused by a village member, and she arrived in the shelter a few days before I landed in Phnom Penh.  Many of the girls stay at the shelter for quite a long time, and there is one case where the now woman has been living there for 10 years.  I don’t know her story, but have been told that the things that happened to her so terrible, that she now suffers from very severe mental disabilities.  She doesn’t want to spend time with any people, refuses to sit near anyone, eat with anyone, speak with anyone, ect.  I’ve never seen such dead vacant eyes in my life, and it is truly heartbreaking to even begin imagining what she must have gone through.

Work is great, and I am getting some experience in writing proposals.  We are currently trying to attain funding from the EU for a social enterprise business/training center in Phnom Penh for the girls.  One of the main criticisms of tertiary education in Cambodia is that it doesn’t provide transferrable, marketable skills which are useful in the work environment.  My colleague, Joe, came up with the idea of setting up a business in Phnom Penh to give the girls the opportunity to attain a wide set of skills.  Hopefully there will be more details to come, but we are both heavily buried under this monster application.

Other than that, John should be here at the end of the month so that we can to Siem Reap (where the infamous Ankor Wat temple is located) and Mondulkiri (apparently the most naturally beautiful province in Cambodia—I hope John and I can take an elephant ride tour through the jungle to all of the waterfalls).   I can only now encourage you to visit Cambodia and see for yourself what a magical place it is.  It’s impossible to put into words what I love about this place, but there is definitely something in the air, and I already can’t wait to come back.

Thank you again for reading and for your support. 

Love,

X S

Comments

1

Dear Sabrina,
I read your article and was very interested by what you have done in cambodia. Especially the part of building a chicken coop. I am myself working in a student initiative to support local people in cambodia. We have the same line of thinking as you. We wanted to give the people a sustainable source of food by building chicken coop and giving them chicken.
Do you know if there is anybody in Siam Reap that already does it? Or do you have any contact there who could help us? I know your article is dated from 2011, but I still give a try. Any advice, information or help would be very appreciated :)

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon,

Best regards,

Sandrine
From Switzerland

  Sandrine Ploog Oct 17, 2013 3:21 AM

About whitesa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.