Existing Member?

Sabrina's Travel Notes

Week 2 & 3

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 16 June 2011 | Views [789] | Comments [6]

Hello All,

I’m now 2.5 weeks in and already have quite a lot to share with you.

Ive been working in the office for over 2 weeks now, trying to get a feel for all of the work that HCC does.  The staff at HCC are some of the most wonderful, goodhearted people that I have ever met.  I get the impression that they function like a little family.  I’ve been very lucky to have been met with such kindness and support.  The work I’ve been given is also very satisfactory.  I’m pleased to see that I am actually going to be doing the kind of work that I wanted to.

Also, I’m now an avid Phnom Penh Cyclist.  It took a bit of hesitation to get on the roads, but being a barang (that’s the Khmer word for “French”, from the days of Indochina, but they now use it to refer to white/western people), most Khmer avoid me on the roads.  There is a strange rhythm to the chaos that I’ve gotten used to pretty quickly.  I’m going to try and put together a video with a friend of mine to show you what driving on the roads here is like.  The best way I can describe it is for you to imagine you are walking down oxford street on a Saturday afternoon.  The way that people walk in Oxford St is the same way they drive in Phnom Penh.  As with Oxford St, you just have to sort of find your way in the chaos.

The flat is great, and it is really nice to begin feeling settled.  I live with a French and an Italian, and they are great fun.  There are many evenings spent on the balcony listening to music and drinking tea.  The tuk tuk drivers outside of our house are now less harassing, and much more friendly.  As I live so close to the entrance to Tuol Sleng, the first week I moved here all I heard when I left the house was “Tuk tuk”, “Tuk Tuk”, “moto” from about 15 different drivers.  Somehow getting on my bicycle wasn’t quite enough of an indication that I didn’t need a lift. 

Last night I returned from a field visit to Svay Rieng Province, where some of our projects are in the works.  We arrived Monday afternoon to a town very close to the border with Vietnam (about 20km).  We were met with about 16 gigantic casinos, and very little else.  The town is a popular stop off point for migrants and travellers heading towards Ho Chi Minh city, and is a bit bleak, to say the least.  I didn’t realise that when you are at any border town in Cambodia (and probably in the whole region), there are 2 languages frequently spoken.  So in our town, all signs were in Khmer and Vietnamese (as was the cuisine).  I have a new found love in Vietnamese coffee, which is everywhere in most parts of Cambodia (due to high migration rates and the former invasion of the Vietnamese at the end of Pol Pot’s regime).  In the border towns, you are never very far from a great café.  For those of you who know me well, it was a great relief to find good coffee.

  On Tuesday morning (at 6:30am L), after battling with a very unhappy tummy,  we headed out to the remote communities within the province to conduct some awareness raising events, in order to prevent sexual and labour exploitation and blind migration (migration where you do not have a job lined up before you cross the border to another country).  Our first stop was a school, where one of my colleagues was giving a day’s workshop to teachers, students and school directors.  The aim was to give them the communication skills they needed to arrange further events, meetings and discussions regarding the issues.  Pulling up to the school was very funny, as the children there had not seen many “barang”.  There were about 70 little faces peering through the classroom windows, smiling and staring at my English colleague and I.  They did eventually become a bit braver and started shouting “hello” at us, to show off their impressive English skills.  We then visited another school and did a session with children on the dangers of migration.

We also went to a local village meeting, headed by the village chief, to give a discussion on domestic violence and its effect on children, the family and the community.  It was a big shock to see the kind of poverty that existed in this village and in the villages we passed.  The roads are really dire (we nearly tipped over into a rice field a few times).  The houses were also poorly constructed, with many made out of clay and palm leaves, others of sheet metal, and a few of wood.  Many young children were running around barefoot and naked.  Many people, young and old, had nearly all of their teeth rotted out.  The toilets were also a new experience for me.  (I will leave you guessing on this one).

The Khmer women are so very shy and it was difficult to get them to speak out in the presence of the men.  We did see quite a lot of involvement from them, but I couldn’t understand most of it.  I did have the wonderful translations provided by my Svay Rieng colleague, Wootee.  The funniest thing on this day was running in to a Peace Corps volunteer who was from Georgia and went to the same undergraduate university that I did! (Valdosta State University). 

On Wednesday we went to a few schools to conduct more awareness raising activities with the children, had another village meeting on domestic abuse, and conducted a few home visits to families with children at risk of not attending school.   The home visits were the most fascinating to me.  HCC works not only in protection of children/young people who are sexually/labour exploited, but also in PREVENTION programmes, aimed at curbing the likelihood that the children will be sold, pulled out of school, sent to work abroad.   Many of the families sell their children or send them away because they need money for medicine, food or other basic necessities.  Therefore, we have a few programmes aimed at helping them improve their financial situation.  We give families 1 cow, vegetable seeds, and agricultural training.  We then monitor their progress to see if they are managing to earn more money.  It was nice to see the programme implemented, but unfortunately our field staff in Prey Vieng are under huge resource constraints.  The province is quite big, and most of the villages they serve are very remote, and impossible to get to if there has been a lot of rain.  Therefore, in conducting the trainings, awareness raising, monitoring visits, meetings with chiefs to identify at risk families, they simply do not have the time in the day to gather the needed data in order to analyse each situation entirely.  We are hoping that in sending a volunteer to Svay Rieng, it can help spread some of the work load that these two incredible people are doing.  We then had another meeting with the local village, at the Buddhist monastery, to again speak about the consequences of domestic violence and migration.  It was funny to be sitting next to a Buddhist temple with the orange robes hanging on the washing line.  For those of you who do not know, Cambodia is a primarily Buddhist country, and all of the monks wear beautiful orange robes.  It is also considered to be the greatest honour for a family to have a male child join a monastery and become a monk.  Unfortunately, the greatest honour that a female child can achieve is to marry.

Last night, before heading back to Phnom Penh, one of our S.R. colleagues invited us to his family home to join them for a traditional Khmer dinner.  It was such a lovely evening, filled with fantastic food, beautiful scenery of rice fields, and truly wonderful company.  One of our colleagues is in his 40s, and shared some of his experiences of the Pol Pot regime and the following civil war.  As a teenager in 1975 he was sent to a camp for other teenagers to learn how to work in the rice fields.  Later on, he was trained to become a soldier.  He didn’t want to say much about what happened, but only told us of a few horrible things he witnessed.  For instance, as part of the KR (Khmer Rouge) policy, religion was not allowed.  If any person was caught worshiping a Buddha or conducting any religious ceremonies, they were killed.  If a man and woman wanted to get married, there were 1 or 2 days in the year where all of the marriage ceremonies would happen on the same day.  If a man and woman were seen not to get along (if they were fighting/unhappy) in their marriage, they were killed.  If you were not working hard enough in the fields (stopped to take a break for a few minutes) you were killed.  They worked incredibly long hours in the fields (more than 12 hours per day), in the horrendous heat and worst conditions.  I cannot even begin to imagine the fear and suffering that these people experienced.  I feel in many ways that this is still very fresh, as a lot of the older generation who were caught in the midst of the violence are still alive.

Lastly, I’ve just finished a very insightful book on the sex trade.  It is by Siddharth Kara and is called “Sex Trafficking: Inside the business of modern slavery”.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sex-Trafficking-Inside-Business-Slavery/dp/0231139608 It provides a good introduction to what the trade looks like in many parts of the world, and I highly recommend it.

I will leave you all with that for today, and pictures are on their way. 

Take care and thank you for reading!

x S

 

Comments

1

What an incredible experience, and amazing work you're doing, Thank you for sharing. I look forward to the next installment!

  Lisa Scott Jun 16, 2011 1:26 PM

2

Thank you Lisa. I'm glad that you are enjoying it.

  whitesa Jun 16, 2011 4:23 PM

3

Good Read enjoy the experience honey,big kisses xxxx

  kimberley Daniel Jun 16, 2011 5:09 PM

4

thanks for writing these Sab, it's really good to read and i feel like you're not far away at all!
kx

  kirstie Jun 16, 2011 9:39 PM

5

Hi Sweetheart, Just wanted to say how much I am enjoying reading your Blog. Stay safe, I love you xxx

  Dawn Scott Jun 16, 2011 10:37 PM

6

Enjoying your journals, Sabrina and releived to find that you have sourced some good coffee! Keep up the good work. Carol and Rog Southee xx

  Carol Jun 17, 2011 6:49 AM

About whitesa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.