Existing Member?

Put your life in a box and off we go.... It is time to see more and work less!

Seeing the Sights

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 29 October 2007 | Views [492]

It has been a few weeks now and I am starting to get into the swing of life in London and learning all the little details you need to know about living in a new country. There will always be things that just seem wacky, like why is it perfectly acceptable to park on the wrong side of the street facing into traffic, and really, honestly, why is there a full page topless model on page 3 of each issue of 'The Sun' newspaper…not that I am complaining but it does seem rather odd in a city so obsessed with political correctness! I have been working at a hospital in West London. The work is pretty mediocre, I am thoroughly overqualified for it, but then, that seems to be the way in London. There are many people from different countries here and sometimes their qualifications are not universally recognised so often you will find people with phD,s or degrees having to do lab assistant type jobs for years just to have their training accredited. Peope from home keep asking what I am actually doing at work; it involves getting all the samples prepared for analysis. Mostly blood, and some urine and other samples arrive from the wards and we log them on to the computer system, label them with a barcode, centrifuge and separate the sera if necessary and then send it to the lab for analysis. The people seem to be friendly enough, I am just trying to get used to the work ethic which seems to differ around the world, things seem to be somewhat more laid back here especially when it comes to HS&E and that sort of thing. One good thing about working at a hospital is that you are able to apply for hospital accommodation. Rents are obscenely high in the city and I have been able to get a room onsite at the hospital for a very reasonable £370 pounds a month including everything, even internet so I can keep in touch with you all! So shortly I will swap a 1.5 hour commute each morning for a 2 min walk, I can’t wait.

When I first arrived here, and took the train to work I thought hey, what a great system….there are three separate bus routes that go to the station all within walking distance of my aunt’s house where I am living. Climb aboard the train and wow! It was more like an airplane than a train, with comfy velour highback seating and traytables, double glazing to keep it warm and quiet and they even have a power outlet for your laptop at every seat! Settle in and you are whisked away to the city at over 200kph. I have to admit, I can’t resist loading up ‘star guitar’ by The Chemical Brothers on my mp3 player and staring out the window. (if you have seen the film clip, you will understand). Once in the city network you can use the very groovy ‘oyster’ ticketing system where you are issued a smartcard that you can store money and weekly tickets on. Simply waving your wallet in the vicinity of the turnstyles opens them and deducts the correct fare which is great when in a hurry. On that first trip to work I thought awesome, this is public transport I can live with. Unfortunately the fun wore off very quickly….These guys are so late they make Connex look good! With so many services the system is very fragile so even if your train is running on time, someone elses is probably late and you are delayed waiting for a platform. Obviously that first day was an unusually quiet one because often I find myself jammed in the section between carriages next to the toilet with a bunch of other unfortunate commuters who have been unable to get a seat. Definitely not fun! Of course it is rather expensive too, my daily transport cost is around £17 so I have to try very hard not to convert that to Aussie dollars for fear of becoming clinically depressed!

Been doing quite a bit of looking around on my weekends. Despite the weather being typically London most of the time, almost all my weekends have been beautiful weather which is good for walking.

Done lots of walks down around the London eye, although I havn’t actually gotten around to going on it yet. It is a lovely area along the river with lots of street performers to watch and it is nice just to wander around.

I seem to have seen more of my friends over here than I did at home! Caught up with Lara who is visiting to try for a USA work permit, and may well murder someone at the consulate before the week is out! Also have seen a bit of Simon and Drew & Kelly who are all working over here and actually live right next to where I work. We all went for a wander around Hyde Park where I realised how much I miss my skates. There were more rollerbladers there than I have ever seen, including a disturbing number of people on the old school rollerskates! We terrorised some local squirrels and saw the famous ‘speakers corner’ where it seems you just bring your soap box and climb up on it to say whatever it is you feel needs to be said. There is no shortage of people willing to listen either.

I also spent a weekend in the city with Sara and her partner Ville, an old friend from uni days that I have not seen in about 3 years. We wandered through some lovely parks with amazing views of the city, checked out the famous Camden markets which really have to be seen to be believed, there is absolutely nothing you cannot buy here but even being a traveller whom can buy nothing for fear of having to carry it, it is still great to wander around as it is quite fascinating. There are stalls on the street level, stalls down on the canal and even in the catacombs under the street! There is also amazing food from every part of the world on offer for extremely cheap prices. Sara had to catch up with a mate in the arvo, so I went for a wander around Trafalgar square where there was a huge Muslim festival happening. I saw some wacky Muslim hip-hop artists ‘I put on my hijab and my backpack, y’o!!).

We also spent plenty of time checking out all the nice pubs in the area and drinking many a pint and getting some good convo in, which is of course, one of the best ways to spend a sunny weekend no matter where in the world you are!

I have also spent a few weekends at home trying desperately to organise things for the next leg in Canada, and spending a bit of time with Tessa and Karl and the kids. We went for a lovely walk around the canals in the countryside to look at the loch systems which are quite clever. We also found a pretty cool bridge that swings out of the way by hand for boat traffic to pass which we had a nice play on.

I have been thrilled to find that my friends in France, Germany and Switzerland all live relatively close to the border within a couple of hundred K’s of each other so I need to go and organise a quick visit for a weekend I reckon. Till then.

Tags: Sightseeing

About whiteelephant


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.