Existing Member?

Vagabonding

Southward Bound...

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 24 December 2007 | Views [1066]

I don’t really believe in fate or the idea that you’re life is on a set course, but sometimes things present themselves in a way that you just have to accept as the way it’s meant to be.  As I’m sitting on the internet, pouring over maps on Google, trying to decide which route I should take to Sydney, my phone rings,

 

“Hello…”

“Ja, Hallo, is that Stoooart?”

“Guilty as charged…”

“Vot?”

“Sorry, yeah it is.”

“Ah good. Man, I saw your advert for the rideshare from Brisbane to Sydney.”

“Ah…Sorry chief, I’ve already left Brisbane.”

“Ja, OK. But I’m not in Brisbane.”

“Righto, so where are you then?”

“I’m in Byron Bay now.”

“You’re in Byron?”

“Jaaa…”

“So am I.”

“Shit man ja? Where in Byron are you?”

“I’m sitting in Global Gossip just now.”

“Cool man, I’m outside I’ll be there in a minute…”

 

And so it is. 

 

The trip from Byron to Sydney was set to be my first spell in the ambassador shack on my own.  As such I had begun to devise my own route from Sydney, safe in the knowledge that I didn’t have to justify to anyone my bizarre destination choices.  For example, I was starting to get excited about visiting the villages around Glen Innes, simply for the place names.  Dundee sits just north of Glen Innes and is the name of my hometown in Scotland.  I share my surname with the village of Matheson to the west of town and on the eastern side is the excellently named Bald Knob.  The photo opportunities were set to be endless.

 

However, with Adrian the Germans phone call, it all changed.  He had to get to Sydney as soon as possible and I had to decide which option to go for, splitting the cost of fuel and going direct to Sydney in a day or following a newly found dream of having a dozen photos of me smiling outside different retail outlets such as “Bald Knob Butchers” etc.  My nationality and our chance meeting forced me into deciding the former. 

 

The day after our initial meeting I find myself pulling the van into the potholed car park at the Arts Factory in Byron to pick up Adrian.  As I park up I can’t see any sign of him.  I jump out and head into the backpacker ghetto.  I pass reception and head into the backyard area where backpackers in various stages of consciousness lay in hammocks.  I see Adrian walking towards me, dripping wet and smiling inanely.

 

“Hey chief, good to go?”

“Ja. Man, let me just get my shit together and I’m ready.  I’ll be two minutes man…”

 

We leave 45 minutes later.  Adrian is still buzzing after a big night on the goon and only one hour sleep.  He has the same kind of budgie-like chatter and enthusiasm of the crowd from the Normanby Hotel in Brisbane and I find it difficult to make an impact on the conversation aside from smiling and nodding.  After half an hour we reach Ballina, Adrian spies an Aldi and we stop for a wurst fix (it sounds very stereotypical but it’s true!).  Once back on the highway he swiftly passes out and it stays this way for the majority of the 750k’s south to Sydney.  There’s a brief half-hour spell where we have a conversation which involves Adrian’s theory that English will be dead as a world language in 10 years time and that mandarin will become the new international tongue.  I mull it over for a while but can’t picture Belgians & Brazilians chatting to each other on a Southeast Asian beach in mandarin…

 

As we approach Sydney it’s almost dusk and the sky is stunning.  The entire scene looks as though it’s been painted and it gives the drive a surreal feel.  We reach the city edges and I deposit the snoozing German in the northern suburbs.  I head toward the city, all alone in the van for the first time since I picked it up in Cairns.  It’s a strange feeling and I compensate for the silence by cranking up the stereo and singing like a drunken Japanese karaoke king.  I reach the north shore area and turn on the radio, subconsciously wanting to hear someone’s voice.  I find triple M at the exact point they start playing Sunsets by Powderfinger.  For the past two weeks this song has been my soundtrack for travelling down the Queensland coast and as it plays it feels like a chapter in my travel story has come to an end.  I start to feel emotional.  I give myself a slap and quickly realise that I don’t have time to reminisce as I’ve taken the wrong lane and I’m headed into Sydney city centre.  I’m supposed to be bound for Bondi but instead I’m steering the colourful little ambassador shack through the skyscraper lined streets of the CBD.  I like to think that I have a decent sense of direction when it comes to making my way around Sydney but, like many other things in life, one-way systems confuse me a great deal.  As such I find myself doing long, expansive laps of Hyde Park and surrounds before realising that I’m going round in circles.  After covering most of the cities major roads, I manage to get the van on a street heading in the direction of Bondi.  After ten minutes I’m out on Bondi road, parking the van and, like in Brisbane, exchanging g’days with a familiar face.  I look at the odometer, 819k’s.  I think I’ll be lazy at the beach tomorrow…

Tags: On the Road

About whippin_picadilly

Dr Dolittle speaks many languages...

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.