Existing Member?

Vagabonding

Meeting The Locals...

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 9 December 2007 | Views [1121]

I wake up, on my first full day as an ambassador, sweating like an Eskimo in a sauna. I stumble out of the van, desperate for fresh air, and instantly feel bad about thinking that Innisfail might be a bit of a hillbilly spot. I’m confronted by a ridiculously picturesque riverside scene with lush tropical plants skirting a wide sluggish green river, complete with an old Aussie guy down by the riverbank, fly-fishing for his breakfast. The Deliverance banjo has most definitely stopped playing. After a pointless shower, I constantly smell like a sweaty old sock whilst I’m in the tropics, I head down to the riverside for a chat with the fisherman. This turns out to be a bad move. After a brief introduction, the Aussie fisherman reveals himself to be a Hungarian immigrant who, despite having been in Australia since 1951, speaks English in a way that suggests a deep hatred to standard pronunciation. I’m only able to understand about 30% of what he says but I am able to decipher that most of his stories end with police intervention. As the tales unfold I start to cook in the direct sunlight like a snag on a barbie. However, I’ve come to realise over the years that pensioners should come with safety warnings attached, once you get one talking it’s difficult stopping them and even more difficult getting away. Even though they look old and decrepit they’ll follow you up steep embankments and match your swift strides with unnerving ease. Despite my best efforts, my British politeness kept me from running away from him and into the shade. Instead, I eventually set off from the campground with a toasted glow of sunburn.


Despite it’s visual charms and incredibly chatty locals, there isn’t much to do in Innisfail, unless you fancy a spot of banana picking. So the van is back on the road by 8.30am and by 9am I’m wine tasting at Murdering Point tropical fruits winery. You might think that it’s a tad early to be quaffing vino but I’m sure that the sweet mango wine would win over even the strongest devotees of morning sobriety. By 9.30am it’s back onto the highway and by midday I’m in Townsville. The last time I arrived here was after a long, dusty drive through the outback and after an extended spell in the bush, the tropical delights of Townsville blew me away. I loved the place. In fact, after 5 minutes in town I realise I still love he place. Townsville has, in my opinion, one of the best panoramic views in all of Australia. Castle Hill sits just behind the CBD and at the top are 360 degree views of the stunning surrounds. To the west is the Great Dividing Range stretching north and southwards, to the east is mountainous Magnetic Island sitting out in the Coral Sea. And in every other direction is a view of either sprawling urban Townsville or never ending coastline.


I spend the day walking around the city wearing nothing but shorts and a rucksack. At the time it seemed like a good idea but when I head up to the summit of Castle Hill at dusk, I look like a piece of chicken tikka. The hill is crawling with disgustingly healthy Australians running the 6km round trip to the summit. The joggers greet me with a mixture of sympathetic looks & sniggers as I roam the summit, my skin slowly turning from chicken tikka into a shade of red previously unknown to mankind. After accepting the fact that I’m not going to get my hours of serenity on the hilltop, it’s back to the campsite for a BBQ with my small band of smelly travellers. The goon is soon flowing and Richard (a fantastic Yorkshire man who speaks English like the Hungarian fisherman) decides it’s time to get out Dorothy his didgeridoo. After a few raspberry blows, he starts making some good tunes and, out of nowhere, a group of Aboriginal guys turn up. I start wondering if maybe the didge is an Aboriginal version of a batman sign in the sky? I mean it has the same results, they may not be wearing tights and a silly costume but they’re there to save Aboriginal music from the murderous lips of silly Europeans. The main didge player introduces himself as Willow and proceeds to try and teach Richard the circular breathing technique before going on to give an example of how the didge should be played. Five minutes later, the guys disappear as quickly as they appeared, no doubt happy that their ancestors will now have stopped turning in their graves. We all realise that there’s no point in trying to play the didgeridoo seriously after Willows performance, so I start a game which I imaginatively name “Didge That Tune.” The ancestors are soon turning again as famous TV and movie tunes are parped down the didgeridoo.


I leave Townsville the next morning and once again aim the van south down the highway. The landscape is stunning, never ending sugar cane fields bordered by gum trees, forest covered mountains to the west and the occasional mountainous island to the east. It’s sometimes difficult to keep your eyes off the scenery and fixed on the road. I stop in Bowen and head down to the beach for some lunch. Picture the scene, the sky and ocean are perfect shades of blue, the white beach is lined with palm trees, the iPod in the van is playing the most perfectly chilled out Bob Marley tunes and there’s a drunk hobo shouting at the seagulls by the beach…Isn’t it just perfect? The reggae legend that is Mr Marley, slowly being drowned out by rants of “why don’t you go and catch your own fack’n food yi seagull bastards…shit…who’s put saltwater in me wine???”

After a while the hobo man realised the seagulls weren’t going to offer much in the verbal sense and he set his sights on giving out gifts to anyone in the vicinity. I was lucky enough to receive a plastic cover for the top of a beer keg, which now sits proudly in the window of the ambassador shack.


An hour or so later I arrive in Airlie Beach, I wonder if the hobos are as friendly around here…

Evelin, myself & Richard, very happy with the mango wine...

Evelin, myself & Richard, very happy with the mango wine...

Tags: On the Road

 

About whippin_picadilly

Dr Dolittle speaks many languages...

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.