Existing Member?

Travel Ettique - Do Australian's Have a Good Reputation?

Do Australian's Have a Good Reputation?

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 17 April 2014 | Views [183] | Scholarship Entry

In the past, the travel grapevine has fruitfully afforded Australian's to feast on the juicy stories of 'the loud obnoxious American' that one may have encountered at a resort, queuing in the line or heaven forbid - in the seat next to you, changing your romantic European holiday into a white knuckled ride, leaving you with a twitching fake smile and the need for minor surgery from biting your tongue incessantly.
Well the days of sitting in judgment, gloating and boasting of our 'better than' status may well and truly be over. American's may have been known in the past for wanting every service and accommodation that is afforded in their own country - at their fingertips, whilst foolish ignoring customs and laughing incredulously in the face of the local customs. Which is far from respecting the locals and subsequently gives the thumbs up to the travellers creed 'I travel with an open mind, to see and learn new things, a citizen of the world - we are all brothers and sisters'. So gather round it’s time for a family meeting.
Recently while researching an Asian destination (one frequented by our fair country) I came across a travel article sprouting the witty diatribe 'or follow a group of drunk Australian's'. Australia, we have a problem. Unfortunately, this statement came as no surprise I was well aware of it - yet that small comment stopped me in my tracks. Could I ignore it, smugly assuring myself that I was not a member of 'this type of Australian traveller’? I certainly wasn't a white Australian male in his 50's requiring a special type of friendship, nor am I an 18 year old 'Schoolies/Spring Breaker' intent on drinking every complimentary drink or methanol laced cocktail until I puke.
At what point does it become everyone's responsibility to save our reputation and do we even care? Not so long ago Australian's proudly owned the tile of 'Friendliest Travellers.' The general consensus held by foreigners may well have been that Australia would be a great place to visit. The Australian travellers are genuinely friendly, always look out for their mates (even their new foreign travelling companions) on a whole, earnest and respectful.
Tourism Australia's latest campaign stating 'There's Nothing like Australia' poses the karmic question 'Would we want that behaviour from Tourists on our shores?'

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About where2next


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.