Existing Member?

This is what I felt. This is my experience. This is why I will be back.

The quintessence of Asia - Luang Prabang

LAOS | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [925] | Scholarship Entry

I'll never forget the day I stepped off the slow-boat on the Mekong River, from northern Laos. This picturesque little town of Luang Prabang, situated on the Mekong, in Asia’s only landlocked country, stole my heart.
My introduction to Luang Prabang was experienced by a scenic, serenic bicycle tour around the town. Taken through the streets, we rode along the river to visit Wat Xieng Thong, where I got carried away by the stories, history and beauty of this temple. Riding through the town, I could feel an overwhelming sense of surrealism, as everything around me felt like it was an impossibly wonderful creation. One of my favourite moments of my entire trip happened as we rode down a road that runs parallel to the Mekong River, the road was empty and lined with trees that shaded the entire street and whose roots were pushing up the paving. It was late afternoon and the sun was positioned so perfectly that it accentuated every beauty that Asia has to offer – the mountains, the river, the forest – each was so breathtakingly beautiful, that it combined to a moment that will only ever be relived in my memory.
Day 1 being so incredible, I didn’t even think there would be more offered to me. On our second day in Luang Prabang we got to go elephant riding!! Finally! The elephants were at the foot of a not-too-overgrown jungle at the water’s edge. They were tied up by the leg and had a wooden seat strapped to their backs - like many other situations on this trip, this was one of mixed emotions. The elephant that I got to ride was a female who was stubborn and laid-back, and couldn’t really care about the demands of her “job” at this time – I could relate all too well to her. She had her own personality and moods (like we all do), and she was in no mood to be entertaining tourists. She was courteous and obliging. She made me a bit sad.
Later that afternoon we visited the waterfalls. Nothing I had ever seen before could have prepared me for this. The first sight we saw was a succession of mini pool-like lakes/waterfalls filled with clear, light turquoise coloured water. As we made our way up, the pools became bigger and more complex. On reaching the main waterfall, I was in awe. I cannot do justice to this scene - it was as incredible as the small waterfalls, just tenfold in size. It took my breath away.
Each experience compounded the incredulity of the previous. I was ecstatic that a humble little town like this could be so special. This is why I will go back.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About whattakesmeback


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.