Existing Member?

Vietnam 2012 Look once, look twice, look three times, pray and cross the street.

16th June - Dalat

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 16 June 2012 | Views [384] | Comments [1]

Had a bad night with gastro. Woke up in morning and still not well. Sent Kevin off to breakfast and he ate his fill. Here at Thien An Hotel breakfast is included and you sit around a long communal table and eat to your hearts content. Kevin ate a variety of fruit, bread, boiled eggs and coffee. I then sent him out to explore on his own before lunch. He trekked around town, up hills down hills, over to the lake and got lost a number of times. Finally came home with bread rolls for lunch. After lunch it was raining and so we waited until it eased up and got on our hired motor bike to explore a bit more. Just after we left the hotel it started raining again so we stopped to put on our poncho's. We proceeded to get very lost and ended up many miles from where we really wanted to go. The lake. Finally stopped when we came to the hospital as I realized we were right on the outskirts of town. Finally found our way back and stopped at supermarket for a few supplies. Later in avo we went for a walk and stopped in at local open cafe for coffee and tea. Kevin's coffee was in a shot glass and very strong. They kept bringing me tea and I ended up with 3 cups. For tea we headed to a local Vietnamese Cafe Phong Thuy which had a tiled floor and laminated tables with a cloth. Locals used the floor for rubbish, ash tray and anything else. Every table had an empty beer crate beside it for patrons to put the empties in and to replenish with fresh ones. Kevin had beef skewers which came out very raw and he had difficulty in explaining he wanted them well done. He then had beef in lot leaf and as I still wasn't feeling great stuck to vegie and tofu soup which was yummy. I also ended up ordering sautéed vegies as I didnt know what she was saying. Food and drinks for 175,000 dong or $7.50.

Comments

1

Its a pity your not feeling well. I loved Dalat. Make sure to visit the Crazy House!!
It’s a guesthouse slash café slash art gallery and looks like something out of Alice in Wonderland. It looks like the Vietnamese version of Gaudi that you can find in Barcelona. The place is filled with caves, giant spider webs out of fairy lights and wire and even concrete tree trunks. It has a concrete giraffe with a tearoom inside and even a nude female statue (very rare in Vietnam). Each room has a different theme and can be rented for a night. Some of them even look like a cave on the inside and one has red velvet walls with a mirror above the bed.

The gallery designer, Mrs Dang Nga looks like a 1960’s hippie crossed with a French woman and she is just as crazy as her Crazy House. Her colleague opened a café named Café 100 roofs and is a must after a visit to the Crazy House. The café is built like a labyrinth that you can explore with little nooks hidden away everywhere where you can relax and enjoy their fabulous hot chocolate. The walls are covered in a mosaic of pots and paintings and sculpting and even the ceilings look like artwork.

  treefrog Jun 17, 2012 2:29 AM

About wendy-kevin


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.