Existing Member?

Way of the World with Weiting

Kerosene Creek

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 3 May 2015 | Views [150] | Scholarship Entry

Rotorua, a city that lies on New Zealand's North Island is known for it's geothermal activity especially the hot mud pools. The cultural town attracts tourists from all over, curious to explore Rotorua's various activities and it's beautiful hidden secrets. But what secrets am I talking about? I'm talking about what's behind all the green trees and tucked beneath the leaves.

On a rainy day in November in the middle of a road trip, I felt a fire in my belly. I wanted an adventure. I wanted to discover Rotorua in an unconventional way, to explore and unravel the secrets that was hidden between the greenery. Forests of tall trees continued on as I drove tentatively around the quiet town.

The magic I stumbled upon that day, changed my life. I have come across many mind-blowing experiences in my 19 years of living, from emerald lakes and red craters, to the tallest 180m tall waterfall on the north island, serene hidden beaches…. But this was on another level. After driving down a windy gravel road, I came to a stop to a small path that led to the entrance of a forest.

"OK," i thought, "this should be fun". The rain poured down like bullets as I prepared myself for an adventure. Layers of greenery surrounded me as I entered the forest until I came to a stop at a clearing. Before my eyes, was a stream or a river, with steam swirling around the bubbling surface. I stripped off, took a step and lowered myself into the waters below me.

The feeling was indescribable. I was immersed in a mud pool, hot and bubbly around me, while the rain continued to fall from above creating the strangest feeling. It was a feeling of indulgence - not the luxurious kind of indulgence that one would pay for at the Geothermal attraction spas, but a real authentic experience where nature embraces you with it's arms wide open.

They say 'the best things in life are free' - it's a film, it's a song, and it's the truth. Never have I felt so cleansed, so free, so happy amongst murky waters. I closed my eyes and floated down the river, still mesmerized by the simultaneous patter of raindrops on my cheeks. Around me, trees swayed and mud banks guided me, until I ended up at a circular spa-pool looking crevice. It was surreal looking out into the distance feeling pampered by the sulfurous waters. There is nothing else I can ever compare to the freedom I felt, away from the city and tucked into the arms of a hidden mud pool

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About wayofweiting


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.