Existing Member?

World Travels An English-native-speaking expatriate, Warren Rodwell has lived in Asia for most of this century; having taught university in China, and written / edited hardcopy magazines. World travels include: UK-Europe-Middle East-Asia-Australia and Latin America

Program Information

CHILE | Wednesday, 25 March 2009 | Views [1071] | Comments [1]

English Opens Doors Volunteer Program along with The Ministry of Education and the United Nations Development Programme-Chile assigns volunteers to public schools in regions throughout Chile, who in turn live with host families in their community, and receive a monthly stipend. During the Annual, 8, 6 and 4 month placements, volunteers serve as English-language teaching assistants to Chilean English teachers for 25 hours per week, and spend an additional 10 hours a week planning classes and leading extracurricular activities for the school community. In public schools, English language instruction begins in the 5th grade and volunteers may be assigned to work with one or more grade levels anywhere from 5th to 12th grade. Volunteers split classes with a Chilean English teacher and teach one-half of the group (approximately 25 students) focusing on listening and speaking skills  in their own classroom, while the Chilean teacher works with the second half of the group in a separate classroom setting.  After 45 minutes, the volunteer and the Chilean teacher switch groups.  The presence of a native English speaker provides an excellent opportunity for students and teachers to further develop their listening and speaking skills.

.

Prospective & Accepted VolunteersCurrent Volunteers

.

English Opens Doors Volunteer Program along with The Ministry of Education and the United Nations Development Programme-Chile offer:

  • A monthly stipend of CLP 85.000 (@ Feb 09)
  • Accommodation and meals with a host family 
  • Health Insurance, Pre-Departure Information and Support
  • All-expense paid orientation in Santiago, which includes TEFL workshops, information about the Chilean educational system, a cultural orientation, Spanish lessons, and cultural activities
  • Airport transfer fees to designated accommodations for Santiago orientation for volunteers who arrive on official program start dates
  • All-expense paid regional orientation
  • Assistance obtaining Temporary Residence Visa and Chilean I.D. card
  • Round-trip transportation from Santiago to regional placement site 
  • E-blended Spanish Course (online Link Chile e-learning) 
  • Classroom Materials 
  • Ongoing teaching support
  • Program certification by the Chilean Ministry of Education

The Great North (Norte Grande):Arica Region, Tarapacá Region (Iquique), Antofagasta Region (Calama and Maria Elena)

The Small North )Norte Chico): Coquimbo Region

The Central Valley (Valle Central):Metropolitan Region, Valparaiso Region

The South (Sur):Araucania Region, Los Rios Region (Valdivia, Paillaco, La Union, Rio Bueno)

Easter Island or Robinson Crusoe Island:Intermediate Spanish required

.

http://www.centrodevoluntarios.cl/seccion.php?subcat_id=33&cat_id=6&p=1

________________________

Tags: chile, education, english opens doors, south america, teaching, travel, united nations, warren rodwell

Comments

1

Dear Warren,

On behalf of the Chilean Minister of Education, Monica Jimenez de la Jara, we are pleased to inform you of your acceptance into the English Opens Doors Volunteer Program of the Ministry of Education and the United Nations Development Programme–Chile. We thank you for your interest in furthering the education of the next generation of Chilean students.

The English Opens Doors Volunteer Program is a national initiative created in 2004 to support the improvement of English language learning and teaching throughout the Chilean public school system. The program’s successes, from volunteer teaching to other initiatives such as the Public Speaking and Debate competitions, have gained wide governmental support, most notably that of Michelle Bachelet, President of Chile. Our program began in 2004 with just 15 volunteers and has grown to include 555 volunteers in 2008, touching the lives of some 82,077 Chilean students.

As a volunteer English language teaching assistant, you will have the unique opportunity to be part of an important and exciting initiative in Chile. Congratulations on being selected in this very competitive process. We have no doubt that your previous experiences, education, and motivation will make you a successful volunteer. We look forward to meeting you and having you as a member of the program.

Please confirm your participation in our program by contacting the English Opens Doors Staff as well as directing any questions that you may have to our Volunteer Team. As you prepare in the coming weeks for your experience in Chile, you will be receiving important information that will help to inform you of what to expect upon your arrival. Again, thank you for your desire to serve the people of Chile. We wish you a safe journey and all the best for the time you will spend in our beautiful country.
.
Sincerely,
Rodrigo Fábrega Lacoa, Ph.D
Director, English Opens Doors Program
Chilean Ministry of Education


  Director Apr 1, 2009 12:00 AM

About warrenr

Warren R Rodwell

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.