Existing Member?

The Fish Town

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 22 March 2012 | Views [119] | Scholarship Entry

We arrive in Kisumu tired and exhausted from the long journey. We head straight to the hotel to freshen up so that we can later go and eat and we are all famished! “You do not come to Kisumu and fail to eat fish the Luo way ”, a colleague points out and that signals the start for the hunt of the delicious dish.He takes us to a small hotel- you had to be a local to know that there would be a hotel behind all those buildings and stall. The fish is being fried outside, as it is too hot inside. The fish is being cooked in an iron pot shaped like a fruit basket. Sitting on a stool, she stirs the contents in the pot as she talks to the clients in the hotel.Did I say how hot and humid it is? I just cannot seem to stop sweating.When our order finally came, we were all ready to delve into the fish and Ugali- a common dish made from maize flour. No cutlery is needed to enjoy the dish so we had to clean our hands first.To say the fish was delicious would be an understatement! It was super delicious, tender and well seasoned. A lemon provided would tone down the natural smell of fish. This tingled the senses in a nice way as I enjoyed the fish.
During the subsequent two days, our meals would entail on a fish related diet. No wonder the Luo people are famous for their fish loving nature. There was fish everywhere, on the streets, in the market hotels. Menus include fish with this fish with that.
This is to be expected as the Luo live on the shore s of Lake Victoria. Their economic activities mostly revolve around fish- fishing in lake, selling fish, cooking fish (for a living). They are an intelligent peoople often associated with the love for fish. Fish providing Omega an essential ingredient for intellect development.Luckily for me I did not get food poisoning, rather my liking for fish only deepened. Too bad the visit was for a short time, I would have learnt to prepare one myself like they do so that I can indulge myself anywhere I am (that is if I can find fish)

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About wariesther


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.