Existing Member?

Scholarship Writing

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - Kebab’s Loosened up Coat

TURKEY | Sunday, 14 April 2013 | Views [166] | Scholarship Entry

An old wooden bench pops up on my eyes while slowly walking pass by. The winter breeze that comes along seems like its ultimate fellow.
That day in an enjoyable afternoon I decided to have a seat on the bench in front of the enormous stores that warmly offer a smiling welcome. Everytime new customers walked in, they sincerely smiled ear to ear. Under the winter trees with no leaves, I tightened my coat to endure the cold freeze. Spread of white bed sheet from yesterday’s snowfall was still covering surfaces, although the cleaning heroes have preceded it when everyone is deep in their slumber, the dreamland. Anyway, it’s one best spot to write.
People were sitting on another bench as well; chattering around with lover, an old couple having toast together, school girls hanging out whispering hot gossips, and a middle-aged man silently sat next to me with his newspaper. I pulled out my pink notebook and about to start making some writings, when I hear the man’s voice, “Turkce?”, pointing on me. “Hayir, Endonezya”. No, I’m Indonesian, I said. Exactly at that time he widened up his eyes and excitedly closed the newspaper. “Turkce biliyor musun? (Do you understand Turkish?)”. And I told him I’m working on it.
Several minutes later I found myself in a Kebab shop, waiting for my tavuk doner; one of Turkey’s must-try meals. The middle-aged man who’s excited knowing my Turkish skill, dragged me here on the chair right in front of the chef making the dishes. With a white apron covering his fat belly, he skillfully cut down the chicken meat displayed openly with his long knife, put inside oval-shaped bread sliced in the middle, and served the doner in a blink of eye. I enjoyed the mouth-watering doner while having an endless talk with the man, chef, and his woman partner. On my last bite I said, “I’m always the last to finish between my friends. How can Turks eat so fast?”, and they responded nothing but a loud laugh.
A cup of hot tea is ready at the second I emptied my mouth. Wait, I didn’t order it. “Tea means everything for us. This, yours, not cold again. No pay no pay.”, the chef’s words surprised me. Later, the woman said, “Ne zaman gidiyorsun? (When will you go home?) Come again okay? Please”. “We will give you the tastiest doner!”, the chef continued.
Talks and laughter warmly surrounded, filled the air up, and burst with the snow that started to fall again. My coat unknowingly has loosened up itself, and I wasn’t freezing, at all.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About wardahnafisah


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.