Existing Member?

Seen it, Been there

Sailing back home

THAILAND | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [94] | Scholarship Entry

Finding a way back home from Luang Prabang, ones can take a road trip or fly over the cloud, for I who love to be close to water chose to sail along the river and into slow travel. It’s 2-day trip with one stop at Pakbeng. I bought ticket from a small agency near Mekong river. If you plan to get one, don’t forget to ask if the price include transfer to the pier because some agency might charge you extra for that. Landscape along Mekong River is breathtaking; even if the journey takes all day, it wasn’t boring when you can rest your eyes on many shades of mountain and creatures taking a sip of natural water to cool down the heat. I arrived at Pakbeng around 6 p.m. I darted to search for accommodation which are mostly full and in unpleasant condition, but I has no choice as I didn't book beforehand. I got a storeroom-turned-bedroom with uninvited creatures like spider, chameleon, and lizard watch me lying. I decided to sleep as soon as I can so that I can escape this spider webs and dusty room to my dream. Early in the morning I got breakfast and packed something for lunch because nothing much to eat on the boat except instant noodle, potato chips, and coffee. Most shops sell the same things which is Laotian baguette and bakery. I chose to get something local which is grilled chicken with a very spicy sauce. When you buy some grilled meat, don’t forget to ask to vendor what is it first otherwise you might get uncommon meat like skinks, birds, or so. At the pier where I got off, I hopped on for another sail to Huay Xai which take about the same amount of time on the river. From dawn to dusk, I arrived at Huay Xai and the immigration office is close so I involuntarily have to stay here for one more night. I stay at an accommodation right at the pier because there are not many guesthouses around that area. I tried a recommended local food, a stir-fired rice noodle, and it tasted very impressive- a little crispy noodle and sweet, salty sauce. I bought a transfer to Chiang Rai from staff- 300 THB. It includes transfer to immigration office, ferry fee, and van to Chiang Rai city center. Here I am in the north Thailand.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About wanderwing


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.