Existing Member?

Europe Tico Adventures

Amazed By The Locals' Kindness

SWEDEN | Thursday, 8 May 2014 | Views [152] | Scholarship Entry

Last year, I was backpacking in Europe and I spent a whole week in Malmö, Sweden. During that week I experienced two touching situations, both of them in two different nights but at the same place, Malmö's Central Station which I consider a nice coincidence. One night I felt hungry so I stopped at a little grocery store and bought a hot dog and an orange juice, when I got to the cash register I tried to pay with my international debit card which got revoked twice so I was like "ok no problem, it sure is just a bank communication problem" which sometimes happens in certain small businesses when you travel abroad, then I paid with cash, but I was again surprised when the woman I paid to rejected one of my coins stating that "that's not from here (Sweden)" and she was right as I didn't notice I paid with swedish and danish kronas but I didn't have more cash to pay with and that was a "I'm screwed" moment. Thank God there's always an angel willing to help when you less expect it, and in that moment I heard this delicate voice saying "I'll give you some kronas", it was a tall, white and blonde swedish woman who gave me some coins that could help me pay for my meal, so I paid, got some exchange and went caught her outside the store to give her the exchange because it was her money but she replied with a kind smile in her face "oh no, keep them" and kept her way home. I must say I never expected this kind of behavior from a scandinavian person as I had always heard they are cold people and never speak to strangers but this situation proved me totally wrong.
My second cultural story happened just a couple days later at the same place, I was expecting the bus to my hostel outside the station and I saw a woman who I think was on her 60's, she asked a guy to help her carry her full of grocery bag to the but stop across the street but she spoke neither english nor swedish, it was a language I could not recognize and I'm not sure if that guy either didn't understand her or just didn't wat to help her but he kept walking so I decided to give her a helping hand, she told me what she needed moving her hands towars the bus stop; I have to say it was a heavy bag, but when we get there she started blessing me (I assume) staring at the sky and touching my face softly saying something about Alá (the only word I could catch) and I only said "thank you" and kept waiting for my bus.
I wil never forget about those women for giving me my two favorite travel experiences so far.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About wanderlustico


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sweden

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.