Existing Member?

Down Under with the Kangaroos and Koalas

The Aussie Way of Life

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 29 April 2014 | Views [1230] | Scholarship Entry

How did I end up here? Where is here anyway? Here is where the ocean is crystal clear, the sun is hotter than lava, where the locals throw a shrimp on the barbie, and apparently here is where dingos snatch up babies. Here is Australia. In a million years I never thought I would be here but I made it. I am in Australia living it up.
How I got here is no easy thing to explain.
There are two places I have always wanted to go: Africa and Australia. If you ask why it is because of the animals. About two years ago Australia chose me when I fell in love with an Aussie man, Greg. Greg and I met at a billiards tournament my cousin was in. We hit it off right away and added each other on Facebook so we can be "worldly friends". My head told me not to get involved long distance, but my heart told me other wise. So Greg and I jumped into the long distance boat for the long haul.
For a year we went back and forth. I went to Australia for holidays and he came to the US for holidays. At the end of my freshman year in college I decided that seeing each other for 3 weeks every 6 months was not as good as it sounded. So I applied for study abroad at the University of Melbourne. And that is how I got here. By the way here in Australia is amazing. Actually living here is so much better that visiting. I got to scuba dive the great barrier reef, see the sydney opera house, hold a baby koala, pet kangaroos! I know your all jealous now.
Although australia is amazing and being with Greg is amazing there are also struggles. Australia is much more expensive than the US. I rely a on Greg, his mom, and my father.
My father is literally the best man I know. He is very frugal but when it comes to making his kids a good life he is rich. Rich with generosity, love, and understanding. He has done so much to get me here and where I am today.
So how did i end up here you ask? Let's just say love. The love of travel, the love I share with Greg, the love of my family, the love of life and the adventures it holds.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About wanderluster18


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.