Existing Member?

OUT-AND-ABOUT

A little place called Aspen...

USA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [130] | Scholarship Entry

They say there is a Little place call Aspen, where the beer flows like wine and the beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano, but guess what, there is an amazing world behind this luxurious lifestyle scene in this town and I, got a chance to be part of this for a few months of my life. What can I say, I have passion for skiing and this is why my past summer I decided to quit my job and leave everything I had behind to head up north to one of the most exciting adventures I could ever imagine in my life. After hours of traveling, I got off the plane at the Aspen city airport. I remember my first feeling as if it was yesterday, those “chills” that you get when you feel the freezing air seeping across the plane window through your bones. This magical moment was the beginning of an unforgettable experience. While spending a few days with crazy temperatures below 0 degrees Celsius I got a chance to meet the famous culture of the “Ski Bums”. This amazing tribe of people believe that it is essential to enjoy each and every single day in life as if it was the last one, with no regrets and even more important, doing what they love: Skiing/ Snowboarding. Most of these people don’t have any kind of established job or routine. They are open to any kind of plan. For example, a typical day in their lives would be: to wake up, have a “champions breakfast”, and start deciding what to wear. “Is it cold enough for a jacket or should I wear a gangster hoodie?”Costumes, baggy jackets, super colorful outfits, or even old school ski gear are allowed on the mountains. Their outgoing personalities help them pull out any kind of creative look. Can you picture someone skiing with jeans, a fur coat and a bright pink headband? Believe me, I have definitely seen that more than once.
Ski Bums spend the whole day in the terrain park. In between rails and jumps, riding chairlifts up and skiing down amazing powder, a.k.a “The White room”. This culture believes that success and progression are the only option. Since there isn’t any other kind of responsibility apart from having fun they often go to Après Ski parties and get together in different bars, even on top of the mountain. To conclude my adventure I can say that friendship is a word that rings my bell every time I think of Aspen now. Definitely there are better things that shine which none is gold. I have learned more that I could ever imagine and met great interesting people: I have become a Ski Bum.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About wanderlust-life


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.