Existing Member?

Travel diary

Cobbled streets of Rome

ITALY | Monday, 11 May 2015 | Views [111] | Scholarship Entry

Strolling through the streets of Rome, we reached Camp De Fiori. It is a local Italian Market. One could find every Italian ingredients he might have heard of. There, a girl jumped us and asked us to click a picture of her. It was strange but nice. People don’t go to foreigners to get a picture clicked. We were foreigners there. She looked too. After clicking her pic, we thought of buying an Italian cap for my husband. But the prices were exorbitant.
After the market, we walked towards the Trevi fountain. None of the places are close. We had to walk a lot. But one can only really see Rome when he walks around the city. One cannot find the local life on the map. Trevi Fountain was another magnificence of Roman life. It was on a cross section of 3 roads and the old water source from where whole Rom received water. It was built in 18 century and still looks alive and bright, it looked as if any moment the sculptures would come to life.

With all the walking, our legs were thinking of giving up. So we thought of taking a bus back, but the nearest bus stand was pretty far. My husband was looking for directions in the map. By saying we are going towards the bus stand, he took me towards Trastevere. And in some time we were standing the bridge on the river Tiber, next to which it was Trastevere.

In Trastevere, there was a lane next to the river where Michelangelo stayed when he came to Rome. He did his sculpture there. The lane was named upon him.

We took a turn towards Santa Maria. This is one of the oldest churches in Rome. It looked mesmerising in the night. With a fountain in front of the church, moon above and cold breeze, all added to give you the inner peace in that hustle bustle. There was a prayer session going on. The good thing about this church was they had handbooks in almost every language. We stayed there for a while and then it was time for dinner.

Trastevere had small lanes and lot of restaurants. There was one which seemed to have only 3 waiters running around. I was thinking how they were handling so many customers. It was late and we were hungry. The menu looked understandable. So we waited for our turn to get in and took a seat shared with another couple. Initially it was awkward, we got used to it. After having dinner and half a litre wine (this is how they measure wine in restaurants in Italy ) we rushed towards the tram stand.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About wanderings-wonderigs


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.