Existing Member?

The best view comes with a sandstorm

The fluttering scarves over the twinkling village

MOROCCO | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [141] | Scholarship Entry

We collapse onto the sand every five minutes, struggling for breath. My friends before me look like dots disappearing in the distance. Is there something special over there? The words “Let’s just go back to the camp” fill my throat, even my tongue.


We are climbing a colossal sand dune in the Sahara desert at midnight. It is quite tricky; if I take one step forward, I slip two steps backward. If I put my weight on one foot, my feet sink deep into the sand. After helping Youki, a tiny 20-year-old girl to climb up, my energy was totally drained. The Berber boys, Little and Big Muhamed, stretch out their hands to us. We grab their hands. Ok, I cannot take their energy away. I decide to swallow every single negative word and just climb up.

After I had to be carried from the top of Mount Halla, the highest mountain in Korea, I didn't like climbing at all. But here I am, climbing a mountain! A ‘sand mountain’, at that! We climb up step by step. Although the first few had already arrived at the top, we, the tail end of the group, advance steadily, holding each other's hands and cheering each other on. After countless breaks, we finally arrive at the top. I'm lying on the top of the mountain, panting heavily. Good job, girl. You did a really great job, you didn't give up on this freaking mountain, I say to myself, burying my face in the sand. I raise my head to breathe again. Ohhhh...

I gasp at the unexpectedly wonderful view. It looks like there is a village over the mountain. A glimmer of light brightens up the corner of the desert. Even though the light is much weaker than that of a city, the light from the village is strong enough to make my eyes open wide. It is just like the Milky Way on the sand. We are staring at the starry village without any words, just slowly catching our breath. A sandstorm starts to blow. Suddenly, Little Muhamed stands up and unwinds his scarf from his forehead. The Tagelmust, or the long, typical Berber scarf, flutters over the calm Sahara desert. My friend Cati and Big Muhamed start to do the same thing. Their scarves are sailing up into the sky. The twinkling village and the fluttering scarves over the desert... I'll never forget this precious moment with the best view ever in my life.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About wanderingliona


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.