Existing Member?

BAKLANDET SKYDSSTATION

Hot Rum Chocolate

NORWAY | Saturday, 2 May 2015 | Views [160] | Scholarship Entry

Imagine the feeling of coziness and warmth while staying in one of the coldest places on earth...
That's exactly what I felt during my stay in Norway. I was in the city Trondheim for a few days, and it is then when I first had a Hot Rum Chocolate. It morning was on a sunny morning, actually, the only sunny morning that escaped the the winter clouds that used to hide the beauty of the sun, that I decided to take the advice of the local Norwegians who adviced me to visit Bakklandet before I leave.

I crossed the Nidelva river, and I suddenly found myself in a totally different place! I was conscious that I was still in Trondheim, but it seemed like the bridge I crossed worked as a time machine and took me back to the 17th century. Everything was different, the way the houses are built and placed one next to the other, the way they are colored and how harmonious the colors were. I wandered in the street of this idyllic neighbourhood wishing I could one day own a similar house as the ones I saw there.
It was so calm and comforting walking purposelessly in the old city, yes, Bakklandet is the old city of Trondheim. All of a sudden, I stopped near a yellow coffee shop. It was not a fancy nor a big one, on the contrary, its door was so small I bet it wouldn't fit two people at the same time. It had a couple of small and simple chairs and tables on the outside for the ones who would like to have their coffee outdoors. I couldn't resist my curiosity of entering a typical Norwegian café. I lifted my eyes, and I read "BAKLANDET SKYDSSTATION", just like foreigner, I didn't know what it meant, but I entered anyway. It didn't look like a café ,it seemed to me as a Moroccan salon with European tables.I picked a place next to this small window, and waited for the waiter.It took me few minutes to ré is realise that there is no waiter, and the small café is ran by an old lady. I went to the counter, she smiled at me and asked me what I wanted for a drink. I took a look at the menu, but I couldn't understand it.I asked her:What would you recommend? She replied: Hot Rum Chocolate, my favourite! Just go to your seat,I'll bring it when it's ready.
I sat next to the window enjoying the view of Nidarosdomen ( the most important church in all Scandinavia! 1000 years old) the she brought the drink. I took a sip, I could barely feel the alcohol in it, instead, I felt the taste of Bakklandet.
Not all those who wander are lost, and peace could be found in a Hot Rum Chocolate!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About wandering_in_trondheim


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.