Existing Member?

Wanderlust Mystical Ganges - to dip or not to dip?

Cabbages & Condoms

THAILAND | Sunday, 30 December 2007 | Views [519]

Why Cabbage??? We all know it is an ordinary vegetable that can be boiled away to tasteless mulch. Well, unless it is dressed up as cabbage rolls in tons of sauce, I think cabbages can disappear from face of the earth and no one would notice. Wait… here in Thailand the cabbage is an everyday food. Until recently, something equally familiar to the Thais was a huge birth rate, and the proliferation of AIDS. Yes, the society was struggling to cope – if only condoms were as common as cabbages! Run by Thailand's Population and Community Development Association, its founder, former Thai senator Mechai Viravaidya, believes "birth control should be as cheap as cabbages”— hence, ‘Cabbages and Condoms’! Proceeds from the restaurant go towards birth control, AIDS awareness and various others projects. One must think that a restaurant with such a lofty theme surely would be boring. On the contrary, the C&C Chiang Rai is one of the best in the city. I was impressed by the décor, the nicely appointed large dining area and a live band. And of course there are condoms everywhere, in frames on the walls, and under glass table tops. So how is the food? It is simply YUMMY and one of the best in Chiang Rai city. The appetizers kai hor bai teoy (fried boneless chicken wrapped in pandan leaves with a dark sweet soy sauce for dipping), platter of spicy Northern Thailand sausages, deep fried pork rind with a fiery dipping sauce were delicious. The main course arrived dressed with amazing garnishes and nicely presented. The rich green curry with chicken was rightly spiced and well cooked. The Pork Curry (Kaeng Hung Ley Muo) was slightly watered down but good. The best dish of the day was the Seafood Soufflé - a heavenly concoction of squids and shrimps cooked with the flesh of tender coconut and served in the shell. The exceptional meal ended with the fried icecream - forget your calories intake chart and savor the tastes. What about the price? Unlike its expensive counterparts in Bangkok and Pattaya, C&C Chiang Rai caters to the local population and is very reasonably priced. Before I left, I bought tons of hilarious condom related gifts for family and friends - thoughtful New Year gifts.

Tags: Food & eating

About wandering_gypsy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.