Existing Member?

There's always something in your journey, even the most absurd one.

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 20 April 2012 | Views [103] | Scholarship Entry

Five years ago has been my first time to visiting Singapore. It is a twinning program between my high school and one of the prestigious junior college in Singapore. During the program, I have to stay with Singaporean (that's how they called themselves). For about one week and a half I have to stayed in a stranger home. At first I felt so uneasy, but then I learned something precious and I might say, a little bit changing my life. We all know that Singapore had a nickname that called 'Fine City'. Singaporean is really really discipline. Honestly, at first I was so shocked to read those strict regulations like no litter, no gums, etc. Since in Indonesia, we don't have regulations that that's strict. So, I was really careful. I kept reminding myself not to broke those regulations. But, as I lived with my guest family, I know that to be discipline isn't that hard. If you just do it regularly, then you become used to it and without you realized it, you are a good citizen now. It is true. As I can conclude, being discipline is a form of respecting others and as we can see in Singapore, all of the citizens lived in a harmony because they put a high respect to each other. From that day on, I am always trying to obey the regulation, no matter how annoying it is, because it is also my statement that I respecting others. A local wisdom that I had learned from my two weeks trip to Singapore, a 'fine' city. Fine as a punishment but also a fine place to living in a harmony.

I'll see you soon, Singapore!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About wanderabout


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.